I’ve incorporated a bunch of the features I have listed but some things are going to get cut because of time constraints. (And I am not sure I will be able to really work on sound at all but oh well.)
What I have:
- Player controlled character as outlined in the mind map.
- Start up splash screen and interactive transition to game play.
- Basic health and energy system as described. (Walls do damage and swimming takes energy.)
- Waypoint following floating egg to be fertilized. (Floats from point to point and stops out in the play field at the fifth waypoint.)
- UI health and energy bars that react correctly using shape key animations controlled by python scripts.
What is needed:
- Random left / right choice for the starting position of the egg. (Easy.)
- Placement of enzyme launchers and basic seeking AI for the enzymes. (Will explode on contact with the player.)
- Auto seeking and magnetic-like attraction to the egg when the player is within X distance of it. (This will engage the drill mode to attack it and get in for victory.)
- Game Over message and associated logic to exit / restart.
- Victory message and associated logic to exit / restart.
- End screen splash thanking the player.
- Environmental toxicity. (Health depletes over time… very easy.)
- Balance of energy consumption vs. restoration. (Balance is SO important!)
What is being cut?
- Other “friendly” and “berserker” sperm. I don’t have time to make a system to spawn them all and to do AI.
- Most likely sounds except maybe a basic swimming “swish” sound. (I did plan for a watery sound coupled with an internal recording of a heart beat that starts off up in the 120bpm range and then slows to 60bpm at the start of the game and then remains constant… We shall see.)
SHOTS AND VIDEO!
Link to video on Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41710/Video%20Test%202.mp4
I’ve gotten interesting feedback from those around me. Some are amused and others are disgusted, so I know the content may not be for everybody. However, I really want to see games as something more than just re-framing killing over and over in 1,000 slightly different settings. (And yes, the player can die in the game but they can’t attack anything per-se so I don’t think of this as breaking with my interest in not haven killing - even if I did implement the berserker sperm that would have to be fought off it isn’t humans slaughtering humans or very human looking aliens on a battlefield.) I could see games like this explore facets of biology in an engaging manner while remaining very much in the “game” side of interactive program. Nature is not necessarily biology, but biology is certainly nature.
I also know that graphically it is nothing spectacular to look at. I am not a fantastic model maker or texture artist yet and I probably never will be. This is what gets slapped together with a week worth of time and doing EVERYTHING from scratch for THIS project.
Feedback appreciated and thanks for looking.