BGMC21 CaveX16 (formerly Crystal Miners)

I’ve been a little quiet recently, as I have been working on things other than this project in real life. But progress has still happened, just slower.
A brief list:

• Mining units now pathfind their way back to base
  • The entry building is non-passable on pathfinding so units will drive around it
  • Sounds have been recorded (I wandered around the university I attend with a handheld recorder recording ventilators, engines, elevators etc.)
  • Resource trucks now actually do something to the game! Mining vehicles will go to the closest resource truck (or the home base) to drop off their loads, and the resource trucks will (when full) drop off their loads back at base.
  • Selection is now indicated, so you can see when you have clicked on a unit:

And there have been many many bigs that have been squashed.

This actually looks really good.

Great job!

Almost time for the last sprint to finish this off. Still plenty that could be done, but not much that’s going to be…

Anyway, the menu looks like this:

For those wondering about CaveX16, it is a git of a running gag between PPSKI and I. Three “CaveX’s” have been made now, CaveX14 is a game that runs on this:

You can eXplore a cave, and it was made in 2014, so we called it CaveX14, to sound like a 1980’s video game. It has 16x16 map (I think), generated using a pseudo cellula-automata algorithm. It was ridiculous fun that resulted in many wasted hours of many of my classmates. It was even multiplayer over the onboard IR port, so two of these boards could be loaded up and you could race around the cave to find the exit.

CaveX15 was a BGE game (which at the time I still called X14) which was a direct copy of the mechanics. I discovered that something that was great fun on a 5x7 dot matrix display wasn’t so great on a full computer:

But it used the same algorithm to generate the map.

Now, we have CaveX16, And it uses the same algorithm (implemented as amazing_algorithm() in Map.py) to generate the rock. (dirt and bedrock is layerd on afterwards to add more variety to CaveX16).

I have formally decided the aim of the game/the win condition. The help screen says it all:

You start in a 10x10 map, and it gets bigger and bigger. Eventually the player runs out of patience and stops playing…

Looking great. Upload it as soon as you can and we’ll playtest it and try and find all the bugs. :slight_smile:

this looks very good.

Your game looks very good. I like the game logic and I think you have a lot of potential with this project. You look like an awesome programmer, but you need a graphic design to give a better look on the Interface and menus… If you do this, this game can be one of the bests BGE games… :smiley:

Haha I like it. Maybe it doesn’t look like a game for E3 but the idea is really good.

@teresproductins:
Indeed, I am a programmer rather than an artist, so it is just programmer art! That said, any suggestions will be taken into account, so if you have specific feedback, let me know!

Last night (At midnight), I published the Finished Game thread. I started programming this game last Sunday, and so I finished it Saturday night. There are still a few bugs which I hope to resolve today or tomorrow.

That said, meet the new unit, the level 2 (L2) miner:

It is very fast at mining, ten times faster than the L1 miner, but it’s carrying capacity is half that of the L1 miner, so you pretty much have to support it with a resource truck. It also costs crystal, which you don’t start with, so you have to use the L1 miners to get to the first crystal.

Other things that changed last night include making pathfinding take roads and mining into account (a mining vehicle may choose to go through a patch of wall rather than around it)