Bicycle chain rigging

How do I rig something like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2oH8TKT9Oc in blender? I want one controler of course.

do a search for tank tracks. there are multiple tuts on it i think. same principle, basically.

I’m currently putting up some tutorials on Tank Track Rigging on my Vimeo site… I am currently moving these from where they were on YouTube… I plan to redo the tutorials at some point… but for now there is still good information in these…

https://vimeo.com/norvman/videos

take and look and see if they help you out…

Thanks. If I understood the idea is to use Array and Curve Modifier and than moving the object along the Curve axis would get the object to track the curve? Seems to work, although I have downloaded the bicycle model for the internet and for some reason it is not working. here’e the chain model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6qtB6OZX0oRXZCQUpqSFEtZ0U/edit?usp=sharing
Have any idea why it isn’t working?

hummm that’s odd… your not getting any motion on the X axis… first time I have ever run into that… let me mess with for awhile and get back to you…

First on all your models you should do a Ctrl+A (Apply… Rotation and Scale) … you don’t want to Apply Location because that will move your object center which is not what you want… but you do want to zero out the Rotation and Scale of the object before you start Partenting the object to another object or using constraints and modifiers on it…

however… that doesn’t seem to be the problem here… still working on it…

Okay I’m not sure how you built the curve you have there but apparently it’s not acting like a curve… So my only recomendation is to Goto the Create Panel and pick Curve… Bezier Curv (or Nurbs Curv) and Remodel it to the shape you have there for your curve… and all should work…

take a look at my file…

Bicycle_chain_Norv Test_001.blend (1010 KB)

Thanks for helping Norvman! I realy appriciate your effort. I didn’t create the model or the curve. As I said it had been downloaded from the internet.
I’ve tried to create a new curve but I got intro some weird behavior:

Any Idea? I have almost a full rig of bicycle but without the chain.

Okay to create a new curve…
using Blender 2.71…
find the ‘create’ tab on the far left hand side on the 3D tool bar window…
find Curve:
then Circle…

when you have the circle (in object mode) Hit ‘R’ then ‘X’ then ‘90’
to rotate than curve on the x axis 90 degree’s
then hit ‘Alt’ and ‘A’ at the same time and pick ‘Apply’ … ’ Rotation and Scale’

now select your old curv and hit ‘shift S’ … and pick… cursor to selected
now select your new curv and hit ‘shift S’ … and pick… selection to cursor
This should aline your center point of your new curve to the center point of your old curve…

with the new curve selected…
Hit ‘tab’ to change into ‘edit mode’…

in edit mode grab the control points and move them around to match the old curve…

Name your new curve something meaningful…

Tab out of edit mode and you should be able to use your new curve in the modifiers you have set on your chain link object…

hope that helps…

Thanks for your time, norvman. I know blender basics by the by, what do you think I did?
After some trying and changing things I finaly got the desire result. Thanks!

Thanks for your time, norvman. I know blender basics by the by, what do you think I did?
After some trying and changing things I finaly got the desire result. Thanks!

I never assume anything… especially if I see someone with a lower Post count than I have…
I myself aways appreachate when people detail their explainations as to how to do something…
every software has it’s own little quirks…
I have been doing 3D for a long time… I started out in Lightwave, then a little bit of Max and Maya (when I was working for a drafting firm years ago) then I moved over to XSI… and a few years back I discovered blender…

I’m still a real noob when it comes to some stuff in Blender…
Don’t ask me how to do particals or scripting or physics and I haven’t even touched the game engine…

but some things I know pretty well because I have been messing with them quite a bit…

like Rigging…

there is some things I picked up in other programs that I apply here in Blender… but most of what I know I have obtained from others…
like Nathan Vegdahl, David Ward, Dimirti, Paul Caggie, Bassam Kurdali… and others I can’t think of right now…

so don’t be surprized when these guys go into detail about how to do things… they want you to understand it completely…

coarse if you don’t want me to do that…

okay…

I can stop…

just wanted to post here that I have two new tutorials that might help with learning how to Rigg these sorts of setups…

see here…

anyway … hope these help…