Billie's 2D sketchbook

screenshotting all your faces and studying them with serial-killer-esque attention to detail

I am not doing this, but I am really liking them. They’re very expressive without having that over the top cartoony look that some simplified faces get. The way things are blowing in the wind in some of these is also great.

I see nothing wrong with this genre. :smile: As a bonus, that picture is adorable.

3 Likes

the art style in this one reminds me of 50’s era etiquette books. is very nicely done, indeed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, you’ve come quite a ways since the old sketches.

Btw, if you were ever to create a graphic novel, I’d buy it sight unseen.

3 Likes

Day… Friday 13 or so I’ve been told.
Rise:

8 Likes

Day 14: Castle

My approach to landscape is to scatter vaguely building-shaped things among vaguely foliage-suggesting mountains :rofl:

8 Likes

And day 15: Dagger

Can you tell, I’m not too excited about hard-surface =D

8 Likes

Day 16: Angel

He’s not particularly angelic, but I thought of this guy. It’s a character I’ve partially modelled before (i think he’s still on the cover of my previous sketchbook) - August the Summoner. Or August Brightstar. Or Mr. Summer. He’s kinda got arrogant and not very stealthy with his names. He’s a mage working as some sort of private investigator and arcane consultant maybe?
He’s also not human, or at least didn’t start as one, but that’s not something you advertise if you value your freedom.

Actually my first thought was another angel - Lord Vetinary played by Charles Dance in Going Postal adaptation :rofl: the kind you only get one of)

11 Likes

Day 17: Demon (fanart)

There is never a reason to not draw a Hellknight.
Irl, i can’t stand violence. To the point of feeling sick when people as much as raise voice.
But as a gamer I put a strong distinction between real life and fiction. And fictional violence is fine as long as it’s properly fantastic. Give me raging evil mountains of flesh and metal over righteously angry humans any day.

:notes: Doom-doom-doom-doom-do-do-doom doom-doom-doom-doooooooom :notes:

10 Likes

Day 19:

Had a bit of extra time at various times of day, so I thought I’ll practice sketching body types. You know how it’s hard to control bad handwriting or when you suffer a same-face syndrome? It’s a bit like that: always reverting to the same default figure (no matter the gender) not because of a preference, but simply out of bad muscle memory.

The figure itself got a little better through exercise, but the face deteriorated :')

8 Likes

The last one is my favorite, but I think the dress folds came out really well on all of them.

2 Likes

Day 20: Frost (fanart, I guess?)

9 Likes

Pleasant shapes, armony and flow; I like the touches of color a lot too!

1 Like

You’ve really got a talent for poses and expressions… Very nice work.

2 Likes

i concur with thorn… your drawings are great, love seeing them everytime i check your topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@marcolomeo, @thorn, @KDLynch thank you <3

Day 21: Chains

…I promise, i had an idea at some point. I just didn’t get around to make sense of it.

Oof, finally going home tomorrow, if everything goes according to plan. Maybe I’ll even get to play with Blender at last.

7 Likes

Days 23 and 25: Celestial and Dangerous

Pro-tip: don’t let cats help you with drawing (especially inking) - they are rather bad at it.

11 Likes

they are very good at blocking the light so you can learn to draw over hyperfaint lines in the dark, though. lol

3 Likes

Mine are trying to correct my lines all the time… or maybe they just want me to stop and go to sleep :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

if mine could ‘correct my lines’ a fraction as good as yours, i’d be buying them their own pen sets. :smiley:

3 Likes

Slowly fleshing out a (re)design of another Blademaiden from Unreal Tournament - Freylis. She’s like Cryss from last year (what with having the same mesh and body texture), so the point is that the designs should share some elements, but at the same time be different enough.

In-game she’s described as a warrior that “understands team tactics well and will always be where her team needs her most”.
I imagine someone who moves with purpose, carefully considers her option and neatly arranges her hair =P

Still figuring out the construction of the clothes/armor. Don’t want to have to decide on these things during the modeling -_-

7 Likes