Birdmelt (WIP)

A quick animation made in two days. Not quite finished, but don’t know if I’ll bother doing much more. Depends on free time. It’s a short editorial cartoon, in a sense, not meant to be fine art.

Meaning of it should be obvious to anyone paying attention to Elon’s antics. Uses

I used the fluid simulator for the bird. I know a few things could be improved. The blue color isn’t right, but then maybe it’s just as well it’s off a bit. Could tweak the lighting. The rusty metal floor with the slots could look cruddier, and the rust density varied with texture painting.

The one thing that bothers me is making a transition from the initial just-a-shape mesh for the bird to the fluid sim’s generated mesh. The original mesh has sharp corners, edges while the fluid’s mesh is smooth blobs. This version has the sharp original mesh shrink in size to hide into the fluid mesh then is yanked out-of-frame when convenient. I tried shape keying the original mesh to match the fluid’s mesh at a certain point, but that was too much work for what’s intended to be a one day project.

3 Likes