bitmaps and uv textures

ok i have two questions that are somewhat related. first when i try to use a bitmap for a texture weather it be for uv mapping or materials it a wont show up and b wont import when importing meshes. second i have a mesh and i textured it using uv texutres and it shouw up when i have the viewpoint shading set to textured but when i render the mesh the texture doesnt show up. hhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeellllllllpppppppppppp

Bitmap is a very generic term: Targa files, GIFs, and PPMs are all types of bitmaps. What sort of bitmap are you talking about?

second i have a mesh and i textured it using uv texutres and it shouw up when i have the viewpoint shading set to textured but when i render the mesh the texture doesnt show up.

Either enable the TexFace option in the material for the object, or add the image via a texture to the material and change the map input to UV.

right i think mapping to uv will work and for the bitmap i am using is 256 color .bmp i think

bmp is not good - perhaps use IrfanView or Image Magic or some other photo program to save the bmp files as jpeg, targa, png, etc for use in the texture mapping.