"Blade Runner 2044" a short film made with Blender

Hey there, I wanted to do a little Post about my last passion project. I made a short movie inspired by the Blade Runner universe and art style. I am proud, that I reached a point with my Blender skills, where I could pull through such a project. It took a lot of my free time over the past couple of months.

The Link to the YouTube video is here:

The Song I used is “After Dark” by Mr.Kitty. I designed the car myself but took heavy inspiration from some cars in the video game “Cyberpunk 2077”. The whole Project was made in Blender, including the final cut. I would be happy to receive some feedback for this project. If there are any questions about the Project feel free to ask.

PC Specs:

32 GB Ram

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

Nvidia RTX 2080ti

Varios Model stages of the car:

14 Likes

What a great effort!

Great job did you render in cycles or eevee ?

Wow! I can see that’s a lot of work. Good story dynamic. Watched to the end.

Thanks I rendered in Cycles, it took 2min per frame

Wait what ?? How did i almost missed this?
A big leap from paper to screen indead. Nice that you didn’t just used any car and put rocket engines instead wheels onto it but did something on your own.
At first i though a bit shacky camera but then… nice… nicer… wow… you really did tell a story with some drama and turnarrounds and then i even forgot to look at all the details in my first watching and only enjoyed the video.
After that… interesting usage of background and assets and all… even the camera moves are interesting… and all the compositions… and different camera shots…

Would be interesting if you tell something more about it… maybe not a complete making of but some info here and there over time??

Ahhhh and to be honest… you got me after Bladrunner :crazy_face:

1 Like

Wow thanks, nice to hear that. I am probably going to write something on BlenderNation about the Project.

1 Like

The most interesting thing for me is: your assets are in a way very simple (geometry) but also somekind of detailed (texture). On the other hand very sparse and some effects are also not very super advanced (all cars in traffic are flying at same speed and same path)… but the camera work (not the shaking… [ohh i wrote shacky before… ??] ) does somekind of counterpart this… of course this is the essence of filmmaking… not everything you see is real (and i don’t mean CGI here but FX in general… this would be a 1:10 city model in the original Blade Runner… or the replicants played by real humans :wink: i even remember the awseome trick of the big shadow in independece day… a truck driving backwards to make a shadow on a model )… maybe some times some artists do concentrate on the technical aspect too much… (me to because it’s my main interest :laughing: )…
So it’s interesting what can be done without using millions of data from photosmetrical scanned objects… (more the Ian Hubert style… don’t work to detailed on what you even can’t see)…

So i guess there are some parts which took ages and are just one and a half seconds in the final render.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!