Blender 2.35 Released

I dont know about you guys but im sticking to 2.34. 2.35 is kinda disapointing to me :frowning: - its extreemly buggy and the setting of Hz ’ s just made it even more buggyer.I think that the game engine making guys can do much,much,much better , or they missed these bugs or something :slight_smile: .Right now 2.34 is the best for me.

Yeah, or 2.34, the last CVS
2.35 really sucks. By trying to make it “better” they only made it worse. :frowning:

ARRRRGGGHHHH! Each version of the game engine is worse than the previous one! What, may I ask, was actually wrong with the one in 2.25??? You can make big games without lag, you can have a lot of physics objects without slowdown, it works great, except that it’s never improved. Now I try the 2.35 engine. I HATE it. Actually HATE it. My games run as slow as molases. I multiply every motion variable by two and the game returns to normal speed, but not without frequent unexplainable slowdowns that pass like cloud shadows. I have something that can add some dynamic characters to the scene. They do nothing complicated, just run around, really. With 2.25, I can add 15 with no noticeable change in performance. Now with fancy, fancy new 2.35, I can add five and only affect the performance a little. Add two more, and the game borders on unplayable. I save an EXE, and-- hey, cool! Now I can’t even move the character!!! I am very mad right now. Does it show?

The other thing I hate: Why does the image loader now open a text-only file selector? It used to be you could select textures in the image selector, with thumbnails? Why would you remove a great feature like that?!?

camera actuator is better now…

camera actuator is better now…

First of all, I have to say thanks to alien-xmp for the wonderfull job, my game now goes from 45fps to > 90fps, thats fantastic, of course I will have to rewrite some things, but i prefer to rewrite of whom to lose that adicional frame rate.

Thanks again.

Bye.

To all those who don’t like what they are doing with the game engine, bear in mind only a single person is working on it. If alien-xmp ever decides to stop working on the game engine, that’s it. Development stops altogether.

A single person working in his spare time isn’t going to turn the engine into something amazing in any short amount of time. However it is slowly improving. Have patience, or get involved in development…

Totally agree with Andy83! Some Guys forget that the old Engine was a Dead End! And without some basic Changes, there was no Place for Improvements.

@JD-multi
You right! I’ve got some Timer Funktions in my Animation Scripts. After removing these Stuff, it seems to work smoothly again. 60Hz for Logic is enough.
This is so cool! Now i can be sure, that my Animations always have the same speed. On every System, with each Machine. :smiley:
Doc

Guys!

I ask You again:

when i put code:

g = GameLogic
g.setLogicTicRate(100.0)

as Alwys->Python

my character doesen’t rotate and stop moving =(
what is wrong with my method?

Please help me =(

Ok, I don’t see how some of you guys can complain about the new version. As Andy83, said moving forward will not always retain backward compatibility. There were some complaints about 2.34 and we’re almost through that now. There’s probably always going to be some complaints about each new version of Blender. Kester’s the only one coding it and I think he’s doing a great job in continuing work on the game engine. I rather see it go forward then go backward.

For those that have already started working on their game in 2.25 or 2.34 and their games aren’t compatible with 2.35, just continue working on the game with the version it works in. Instead of complaints give suggestions for improvement (I think there’s a thread on blender.org for that). Also if things are buggy, look for it and file a bug report so it can be fixed in the next version of Blender.

Jason Lin

Yeah, it’s a matter of getting used to the improvements, and these ARE improvements. The games will run the same on everyones computer now instead of varying speed, as long as they can reach logic and physics speed. We can adjust the speed to our liking, and there’s stereo now. We have one guy working on the engine so please be grateful so he doesn’t take a vacation. I’ve found 60 hz works best for me as far as logic goes too. There’s some difference in my collision that I haven’t quite figured out yet. It’s a matter of working with it. The engine is faster. It looks slower because the logic was set to 30 hz, but it’s faster and will look faster on everyone’s machines when we get it set up the best for our applications.

Hmm, here’s the way I changed the tick rate. Lol, I’m just repeating what Doc_Holiday said.

Always->Python Script

import GameLogic

GameLogic.setLogicTicRate(60) 
GameLogic.setPhysicsTicRate(120)

For some odd reason the physics tic rate and logic tic rate cannot be the same value or the physics doesn’t work. So what LogicTicRate and PhysicsTickRate seems to work well for you guys?

I tried to poke around, but haven’t found any docs on the 2.35 game engine, so anyone has any links?

Jason Lin

GameLogic.setPhysicsTicRate(120)

Hmm. Might run the best on your machine at that speed, but 120 hz is pretty fast. I haven’t tried it, but the whole idea was to get the engine to work on more machines. What we need is someone on the low end of the spectrum, but not too low, to try the settings and see what’s best. Most of us are agreeing with 60 for logic. I left the physics at 60, mostly because I didn’t see that information when I was looking. I’ve got an mx440 nvidia with an amd 2500 I think. Probably a little too high. Anyone got one of those built in video cards? That would be the ideal, if it would run at all.

From playing around a bit, the blenderplayer app runs games a lot better than inside blender itself.

I’ve only tried it on blender-2.35a-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386

~equip14

Yep, sometimes blenderplayer uns a lot better. About the hetx, I think you can do rate at 60 hz and physics at 61, I’ll try that.
I’ll also try to make a script that runs blenderplayer and loads directly the blend file. That would be cool, no runtime required just blender player, and non windows users can also play the blend file. and what about configure script for the hetz script? like ingame changing, then restart game and it got another hetz. Ofcourse build an auto save option for that, so afther restart you start at the same place in the game. :smiley:

Mmh I’ll try that some day.

To all those who don’t like what they are doing with the game engine, bear in mind only a single person is working on it. If alien-xmp ever decides to stop working on the game engine, that’s it. Development stops altogether.

Opps , sorry , i didnt know :frowning: ,I appologise , I really didnt know :frowning: .Actualy we should be really thankful to alien-xmp for continuing the developing of Blender and its good that the new version has been posted in the blender3d.com - that shows us , that Blender is still in developing.Go , “alien-xmp” !

GameLogic.setPhysicsTicRate(65)
GameLogic.setLogicTicRate(60)

That should be perfect for most games but, for games that really depend on physics 100% and doesnt have much else going on setting the physics to 120-200 herts is good.

Oh and those who say that 2.35 is worse than 2.25…hahaha! Stop trying to make games made in 2.25 run perfect in 2.35.

I seem to be getting different results than everyone else for some reason. If I set physics to 65, instead of 60 the collision goes crazy. It seems to work the best when they’re both set a 60.

You sure??? Hmm, must be my setup from 2.34. Cause when I have both physics and logic at the same rate, no matter the number, my character doesn’t move (physics doesn’t work), but the actions seem to run fine.

Hmm, I guess I’ll try to test it on one of my built in video cards on an older computer if no one with a lower end system volunteers. Might be a few days before I get the specs up, that computer has been in retirement long ago.

Jason Lin

People need to test their games in the weekly test builds at blender.org. Part of the reason there are so many bugs in 2.35 is that there is only one developer devoted to working on the game engine. The other part of it, is that he can only work on bugs he knows about. Compatibility is one thing, but there are real bugs in here. He switched the physics system only a few weeks ago, and there haven’t been very many bug reports in that area; but whenever something switches there are bound to be many bugs.

Ony of the major issues in blender, all the way back to 2.25, has been the way physics changes between systems. For those of you who think 2.25 is “good enough,” just don’t plan on making any game where jumping matters, because when you release your game you will discover there are people who cannot complete the game because on their system the jump is too short. There will also be people on slower computers who will beat the game more easily because on their system they jump twice as high. This has been a real issue in blender forever, and I’m glad to see it being addressed. Of COURSE there are bugs with it, it is a new thing. Figure out why bugs might be occuring, make new .blends and try to recreate those bugs, and post bug reports.

The new time system also effects logic pretty heavily. So there are bound to be bugs with python or logic bricks.

The issue with dissapearing buttons is probably because they modified the drawing functions. This was because these functions caused a terrible slowdown on ati cards (to the point of being unusable).

Anyway, everyone should try the weekly blender builds from the testing forum

and post any bugs you can find to the bug tracker
with .blends and good descriptions of how to reproduce the bug.

We all have to do our part.