Blender 2.47 RC1 and Ocean Sim

I’ve installed Blender 2.47 RC1 hoping to find new Ocean Sim used in Lighthouse short film in it, but I had a bad surprise, it lacks the new “Ocean” in the textures panel!

I’ve used the patched version from broken and I’d say it works very well and it seems yet complete and ready to integrate in the main branch… so… please devs! include it in the next RC!!! :smiley: We need it!!! :yes:

mhmmmm… don’t we need it? :confused:

Hi, it looks like 2.47 is going to be a bugfix only release (which I’m very happy about!), with just a few minor additions, so these sorts of new features won’t be in it. Rest assured, we still very much want the ocean tools in an official release soon, but not this one - besides, there are a few more things to clean up after the patch review.

cheers

Hi broken!
yeah, it seems a bugfix release “only” effectively. I was hoping nevertheless your patch would had been integrated in it because I’ve literally “worn out” the patched version of blender experimenting with Ocean sim.
The fact is I can find only the windows version patch at Graphicall.org and run it emulated under Wine in Ubuntu… which is a pain because of the lack of opengl accelerated driver in emulation but, well :mad:

ok, it means I’ll wait (im)patiently until the next release, in the meantime, a lot of congratulations for the development of the patch and for the film it made possible, it’s astonishing!

Hey broken,
I’m supposed to remind you to include your “dark” theme as well. I know you always forget and that you’re busy but it would be so cool to have :slight_smile:

can we get an updated version of the patch that builds with the current svn version??
at least for me it doesn’t work…? (ubuntu, 8.04, modifier.c errors)

If you’re that impatience, why don’t you compile your own version. It’s not that hard:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Blender_3D:_ActionBook/Blender_Compiling
http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/dotclear/index.php/2007/05/28/87-compiling-blender-for-kubuntu-606-lts

well but I need the code and only thing I can find is a win patched version. Does it mean the code has yet been integrated in the SVN version?

I’ll have a look at this, thank you for the links.

Ok, I’ve studied how to compile, I’ve downloaded all the necessary files from SVN, compiled and obtained my own compiled version of the latest SVN but, again, I can’t find what I’m looking for, that version also lacks the new Ocean function in the textures panel.

So, what you suggest now, man?

You still need to apply the ocean patch - it’s not in SVN yet (AFAIK).

/Nathan

Thank you Nathan!
Actually, I’ve combed through the SVN but didn’t found sign of that branch :slight_smile:

So, can you tell me where I can find that patch and the way to apply it to my compiled version?

Hi Eterixel, google is your friend :wink:

• go to the site of the dev and download the patch (may require a registration on the blender site): en dot blender dot ir
  • copy it at the root of the source directory and type in the command line:
    patch -p0 < ocean_rc1.diff
  • as ocean tools requires a specific library in order to generate the textures, install it from www dot fftw dot org
  • compile it as usual

regards

eheee… :smiley: thank you!

I’ll try as soon as possible, but… “as usual”… I’m only at my first compiling experience so, I think I didn’t catch the “usual way” to compile yet!

Hi Eterixel,

if you are under linux, this is pretty easy with scons (thanks Jesterking ;))
if you have some problems with a package (such as game engine, sound, etc), go to the config folder, and edit the linux2-config.py to your needs: as an example, you may want to disable OpenAL which seems to be a deprecated library by replacing “true” by “false” (easy).
if running scons gives you mistakes, you can easily solve them by installing the development package related to it (easy with ubuntu, go to synaptic and install the blabla-dev package where blabla is freetype as an example)

It is even better to create a user-config.py in the same folder as where our main SConstruct is and put your overriding build configuration there.

A rather new feature is that you can name your config files however you want and give it on the command-line with BF_CONFIG:

scons BF_CONFIG=myoneconfig

and

scons BF_CONFIG=myotherconfig

It makes switching between build profiles easier.

/Nathan

Hi guys, thank you very much for the advices :smiley:
I’ve downloaded the Ocean patch and applied it as Lapinou suggested.

But I’ve encountered a problem.
Before the patch, I could compile without error and get my blender working,
after having the patch applied the console returned me an error and stopped compile.
This is the code:

Compiling ==&gt; 'modifier.c'
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.c: In function ‘displaceModifier_dependsOnTime’:
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.c:2996: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_ipocurve’
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.c: At top level:
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.c:3022: error: redefinition of ‘displaceModifier_dependsOnTime’
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.c:2990: error: previous definition of ‘displaceModifier_dependsOnTime’ was here
scons: *** [/home/simon/svn-blender/build/linux2/source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

I’m a total newbie of compiling stuff, but it seems to me the patch modify in a bad way the file “modifier.c”,
and this is what the patching process return:

simon@home0:~/svn-blender/blender$ patch -p0 &lt; ocean_rc1.diff
patching file source/blender/render/intern/source/texture.c
patching file source/blender/render/intern/source/convertblender.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 4506 (offset 91 lines).
patching file source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c
patching file source/blender/render/intern/include/texture.h
patching file source/blender/render/intern/include/ocean.h
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/bad_level_call_stubs/stubs.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 375 (offset 4 lines).
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/modifier.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 2986 (offset 185 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 3203 (offset 199 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 3283 (offset 199 lines).
Hunk #4 succeeded at 7398 with fuzz 2 (offset 225 lines).
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/texture.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 76 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 448 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 877 (offset 31 lines).
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/ipo.c
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/BKE_bad_level_calls.h
patching file source/blender/makesdna/DNA_texture_types.h
patching file source/blender/makesdna/DNA_ipo_types.h
patching file source/blender/src/editipo_lib.c
patching file source/blender/src/editipo.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 3097 (offset 9 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 3170 (offset 9 lines).
patching file source/blender/src/butspace.c
patching file source/blender/src/buttons_shading.c
Hunk #3 succeeded at 4622 (offset 41 lines).
patching file source/blender/yafray/intern/export_Plugin.cpp
patching file source/blender/yafray/intern/export_File.cpp
patching file source/blender/blenloader/intern/readfile.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 7782 with fuzz 1 (offset 151 lines).
patching file config/linux2-config.py

What do you suggest?

did I say we need an updated version of the patch? one that works with the current svn? (Please, I don’t need no one telling me to go into the code and find out where each line should go…)
I think I did… Did anyone read my post? I don’t think…
Now, I don’t demand an updated version of the patch, I ask for one (“polite”) because it could take me hours to find out where each line should go but it would only take minutes for the one that built the patch, if he cannot I understand…
thank you (for reading me,if anybody does)

Hi,

I’ve updated the patch to build with current SVN here:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/127/13644/6466/ocean_16059.txt
(as mentioned in the patch tracker, you need fftw installed to compile it)

I’ve also uploaded a windows build to graphicall.org:
http://graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=766

cheers

thank you very very much brokern, compiling right now
sorry if anyone (that shouldn’t) gets offended by my post

edit
but if fails to compiles, I’ll post the errors later (if you are interested)
and first you forgot to include the ocean.h in the patch
still thanx for your time

Thank you broken, but I confirm the presence of some error:

Compiling ==&gt; 'ocean.c'
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:1:19: error: ocean.h: No such file or directory
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c: In function ‘gaussRand’:
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:29: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘sqrt’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:29: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘sqrt’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:29: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘log’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:29: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘log’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c: In function ‘omega’:

and so on…

source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:50: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘sqrt’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:50: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘tanh’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:50: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘tanh’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c: At top level:
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:54: warning: ‘struct ocean’ declared inside parameter list
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:54: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c: In function ‘Ph’:
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:65: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:65: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:65: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘sqrt’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:68: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘exp’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exp’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘pow’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘pow’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fabs’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:71: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘fabs’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:74: warning: ‘struct ocean’ declared inside parameter list
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c: In function ‘compute_eigenstuff’:
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:78: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘sqrt’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:80: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:81: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:83: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:84: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:89: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:90: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:91: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:93: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:94: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:95: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:103: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘cmpl’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:109: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘res’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:115: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘res’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:121: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘res’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:127: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘res’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:136: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘cmpl’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:141: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘cmpl’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:146: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘res’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:152: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘res’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:160: warning: ‘struct ocean’ declared inside parameter list
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c: In function ‘eval_uv’:
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:167: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fmod’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:167: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘fmod’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:173: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:174: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:176: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘floor’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:176: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘floor’
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:185: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:186: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:188: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:189: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:194: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:196: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:196: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:212: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:214: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:216: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:216: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

and so on until this

source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:663: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:718: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:719: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:723: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:737: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.c:743: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scons: *** [/home/simon/svn-blender/build/linux2/source/blender/render/intern/source/ocean.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

In the first code I posted you can read “ocean.h: No such file or directory”
I’ve downloaded the source now and it was SVN version 16063 (your is 16059), I hope it wasn’t the cause of the errors.

Thank you