Blender 2.48 RC - Bug or wrong function usage?

Hello everybody!

I tried one of my scripts with the new Blender 2.48 RC and also with a recent SVN build from Graphicall and got crashes. I’m on WinXP

EDIT: On Blender 2.48 RC1 the code below still works fine - but nevertheless i got occasional crashes in my script. So there may be something else here - but my impression is that it’s also related to properties. The code below gives the strage behaviour with the SVN build from Graphicall: SVN rev. 16945 (optimized build form Zebulon Oct-06-08)

After a few headaches i was finally able to track down the critical code - it’s obviously related to mesh properties.
Either i’m doing something wrong (read: the correct function usage has changed recently) or this is a bug:
Try this code with a default cube (mesh should be named “Cube”) in your scene:

from Blender import Mesh
print Mesh.Get()
Mesh.Get("Cube").properties["myproperty"] = 1
print Mesh.Get()

The first print statement indeed lists the mesh named “Cube”. Then i add a property to the mesh and print the names of all meshes again - and ooops - the mesh named “Cube” is gone. Instead there’s now a mesh named “p_level_group”. If you have the mesh button window open, Blender crashes immediately - otherwise it will crash as soon as you try to get the mesh related gui on screen.

Can somebody confirm - maybe also on other OS?

Thanks,

Michael

PS: Cannot check the bug tracker now since i’m at work and don’t know my password. So maybe this is already reported?

I get the crash too on 32bit linux. will look into it. thanks for reporting though Id prefer the tracker was used for these problems.

fixed, rev 16970 - the mesh name was being overwritten. messing up the mesh database.
Strange this bug was there since 8916.

Thanks Campbell,
as i said - i would have used the tracker (sooner or later). But before i do so, i usually like to have the bug confirmed by someone else since i’m limited to WinXP
Also … i’m allways thinking it’s my fault or due to wrong usage of a function. :o

Michael

even if its a silly mistake, Id prefer it reported on the tracker.
We get mail notifications when a new report is made whereas I could easily miss out a report made on the forum.

At worst its not a bug and we close it, no big deal.

OK,
then next time i’ll report directly on the tracker without further “research”.

Althouth the tracker says that we should confirm it’s really a bug and provide all necessary information to reproduce it. I wanted to make YOUR life a little easier by not bothering you before i have more information on what’s going on with a different OS.

But thanks again!
You Devs do a good job at fixing the things fast…

Michael