Blender 2.5 svn 29533 and orbiting my view

I’m having a bit of problem understanding how orbiting my view works. I’m trying to get the view to orbit based on my selection. So I set the “pivot point” to “Active Element” (does this even affect the orbit?). However, it seems to be orbiting in an odd (unpredictable to me) manner. At first I thought it was orbiting around the center of my view (which I can live with it if is as I could just pan my view until my object is centered before I orbit). But that does not appear to be the case.

I am set to “turntable” orbiting in the user preferences and I cannot figure out how the orbit view works. Any pointers?

Ahhh…I see that perhaps this might be better served in the Modeling forum. I just posted it there as well. Mods, feel free to delete this thread here if you so desire. My apologies.

First, start with a new scene (File, New or Ctrl-N) because you want to save this as part of your default settings.

In the User Preferences, go to the Interface tab. Under View Manipulation (middle column), enable the Rotate Around Selection option. Click the “Save As Default” button.