Blender 2.71 FBX export - Not compatible with Unity 4.5

I’m working on a Unity3D 4.5 project with objects and animations made in Blender.
Yesterday I installed Blender 2.71, I was previously using 2.7.5.
BAD IDEA!

Now Unity reports:

“Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
You need to use Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later versions for direct Blender import to work.”

Blender.org tells me:

Thanks for the report, but that’s a Unity “bug”, not Blender’s. They have to update their own script (which is a shallow wrapper around Blender’s FBX exporter) to support new addon (I saw a page explaining how to do it yourself the other day, but sorry, can’t find it this morning).

Well, I can’t find any info either.

So all work has stopped because even earlier versions of Blender (2.7 and 2.7.5) can’t export FBX to Unity anymore. The new exporter has seemingly overwritten the old one(s).

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Same problem here, really annoying !

Yeah, discovered the same problem yesterday. That’s interesting that it’s the same with the older versions. Hopefully it’s corrected soon.

As you said, it already happened in the past.

I understand that Blender and Unity have to adapt to each other as they evolve over time. But for the end user trying to achieve daily work, it can be really a waste of time waiting for a fix, or trying to fix it ourselves.

I’ve decided to export manually to FBX from now, in order to avoid this problem once and for all. I’ve made a small addon that allows me to export my scene to FBX in one click, straight into the asset folder of my Unity project. I’ll post it here very soon.

reinstalling 2.7a worked for me, at least to get functionality in my pipeline back with an older blender version

Here is a fix for Blender 2.71 and a description of the error. Thanks to “Ignaramus” for taking care of this.

https://developer.blender.org/T40907

Blender 2.71 release set all my Unity projects for non working state cause our workflow always used .blend files. This is not a simple bug, this can compromise works of many people around the world that use Unity and Blender professionally as i do. For much less BF released a revision version before, lets see how much BF care about Game Developers.
Cheers

You´re right Vitor… and it´s 23-Jul and nothing, I still has the same problem…

Looks like this problem with Blender 2.71 and Unity automatic convert .blend to fbx was fixed with this commit:
https://developer.blender.org/T40907. it’s a shame that all this time it was set as Low Priority through :no: