Blender 2.8 - Code Quest - Crowd sourced funding

… my thumbs up for that rocket animation thing …
I mean its a verry good and simple looking way of showing budget and what it means to Blender.
They should put new changes that require funds in similairviews, and maybe its an idea here (or future blog), to show it as well.
So people quickly get an idea where sponsored money goes, if it where available.

*maybe offer multiple rockets, so people working on other trajects perhaps even developers from other studios ?
So you get something besides blender market, for people dealing width extending original master source code, with some reward.
Your end result will then be opensource but you get some payed time to create something.

That makes sense, they should spend time on their frontpage, making stuff appear like blocks, or in a motion design-ey way, something along the lines of the minecraft launcher looks, ie made from the same mold as the app itself. Have stuff (rockets ?) fly around, maybe go the extra mile and make it interactive with webgl, steal the feature row from BA, etc…

Just downloaded 2.8 beta, and a few sample blends. Thanks to the artists who
provided the files!

I will sign up to donate today. :smiley:

BTW, does anyone know how big the Wanderer file is? I stopped
the download at ~400mb. Would be good to post the file size with the
link.

Wanderer is about 600mb tall. I do not know where the 400 mb information comes
from. In addition, the file can be opened in the latest version of Eevee. But it
does not work. In older 2.8 versions it works.

I stopped the download at ~400mb because I didn’t know if it was 500mb or 2 gb.
Now that I know the file size, I’ll let it download completely.

BTW, after installing 2.8 beta, I loaded the Wasp Bot created by Emiliano Colantoni…it looks so good in eevee I thought it was final render, and clicked on 3D view just to make sure.

Then I moved the camera around it in real time…awesome! :cool:

Thanks Devs! :smiley:

I don’t know if it’s just me, but is anybody else having a difficulty signing up for a Blender account to buy the rocket? I can’t seem to register for an account. Having the problem on all browsers I’ve tried… Firefox, Internet Explorer, Maxthon, Chrome.

The campaign is halfway to the stretch goal now, I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being the BF’s most successful single crowd-funding event ever (I do remember when it took a while to just get to 1000 units moved when the Open Movie concept was new).

If we donate here, will it go towards 2.8, or is it divided up to other projects?

Rocket price will be increased a little in a day or two. If someone wants it, but still not purchased it yet, better to do it now.

Discount valid until 1st March! Rocket ships to all supporters in April.

friendly reminder
https://store.blender.org/product/blender-2-8-code-quest-rocket/

Whoa, the Blender rocket shot well past 2000! It’s 2341 at the time of writing this.

Ordered mine yesterday, just 145 rockets left to achieve the goal! A couple more days at discounted price would be nice

What happened to the stretch secret surprise?

Dunno, stretch goal hasn’t been reached yet.

People were complaining they should tell what the surprise is, so I guess they’ve done the most sensible thing to do, and they removed any mentions of it so it can end up being truly surprising.

We reached 2400! 100 rockets left for something even more awesome! :smiley:

And the rocked reached the moon. Beware of any UFO’s in there :stuck_out_tongue: . (j/k)

I’m guessing they will have a blog post about the ‘oh so mystical’ stretch goal.

The Quest page is already indicating that we will soon know the identities of the two additional developers.

The Monday meeting also indicates a plan for a big and nicely illustrated blog post related to the current progress of 2.8. It’s also supposed to have a relation to the Code Quest (so they might reveal the surprise too).

ton has already revealed the identities on twitter: jeroen bakker and julian eisel.