Blender 2.8 Cycles and food laserscan - first test

Laserscanned Fast Food Series - French Fries

Here is our next example from our laser scanned Fast Food series.
We combined in this example laser scanned french fries,
ketchup, mayonnaise, fries bag, salt and pepper.

Scanned with Reeyee X7 blue laser scan technology.
Textures made via Canon 5DS Mark IV, reorganized with
Substance Designer. This example has 205.3 mil tris.
Rendered in Blender 3D 2.80 cycles (BETA)

i-U Studios / New Zealand

22 Likes

Looks great! How did you solve scanning shiny surfaces like the sauce and sauce packs?

Hi Bart
thanks :slight_smile: ok - the scanning process for these food objects was very short. After importing the objects in B3D we seperated the mesh - for example: we seperated the fries from the ketchup and the ketchup bag and gave every sperated mesh a different gloss/roughness map. The burger for example has 9 different mesh areas (salad, onions, bread, meat, sesame seeds…and so on) - also every mesh area has his own node setup - very important also for the SSS.

best regards
robin / laser dev. team

1 Like

What about the photoshoot? Did you use any filters or a specific light setup?

Very intresting result.
So you used photographs to recreate textures to place above the 3d scan. Will you retopo this one day?? :smile:
How did you make the salt? Is it 3d scanned or is modeled and placed with a particle system?

Hi i like the materials especially ketchup and french fries,it’s a sss?

looks great!

1 Like

Laser scan have no problem with shiny surfaces if I remember correctly? And when mapping the 5D pictures on the laser-scan, you can simply take the angles where there is no glossy reflections.

Hi Bart, Happy new Year :slight_smile: - your question about the photoshoot. We make most of the textures with a Canon 5DS Mark IV and Canon 5DS R. The process is running since last year full automatic. We are using a white tent (Walimex) and a “Studio in a Box” (Candian Studio Lights). In this is a kind of railway for the camera setup. We make 500 - 1.200 pics (depend on the size and structure). Madeleine (our Award winner from last year) developed such a full automatic system for scan products and for texturing such objects. All data are running through Capturing Reality (CLI version) in high res

1 Like

Thanks Francisco :slight_smile:

Hi, we are using several SSS setups. The Ketchup has a SSS 1.2 the fries 0.9. All parts has the original texture as image input for the SSS

Thanks :slight_smile: the salt : we try to scan salt, this is no problem, also to decimate such small objects, the result is and was very good. Sometimes we are we used scanned salt, sometimes we buildt such salt or pepper with small low poly objects

Looks good! Is there a place where we can buy the objects/assets?

do you even know how difficult it is for a foodie to check such work!! :stuck_out_tongue:
But fries looks delicious which means scanning worked well!!

I featured you on BlenderNation, enjoy :slight_smile: