(Blender 2.8 Dec21 build) Solid view objects are semi-transparent in edit mode

@HardRooster, it’s your clipping planes.

1st time I loaded your scene, I unchecked Load UI, and everything was fine.
Next time I loaded UI (with your scene), and I got the same issue. I had a feeling it was the clipping planes

To fix it change the clipping plane in: N Panel > View > Clip Start from 0.001m to 0.1m

While you’re at it, the blender default for Focal Length is too low for most purposes, try upping it up to something between 80-100.

All this depends on the actual scene size, there is no one fits all solution.

2 Likes

It sort of helps, but I have to set it to an unacceptably high number to even put a dent in it. Here it is at 25cm and still you can see some x-ray.

It’s the ratio between the 2 clipping planes that is creating that unwanted effect.

If you’re getting too much front clipping and you still have the issue, so you can’t raise the Clip Start, then lower down your Clip End.
You just gotta find that sweet spot for whatever your scene scale is.

What’s your GPU/Video Card?

1 Like

Messing with the clip end doesn’t do anything to obscure the x-ray effect. It just…eventually…hides what I’m looking at while preserving the x-ray mess.

I’m running a GTX 1070

I also have had this annoyance, couldn’t find the option to fix it except toying with the Clip Start & Clip End settings.

Here are my new settings:
Clip Start = 0.001
Clip End = 1000 (previously set to 10000)

I also had to resize down my objects in order to get rid of this “half x-ray”.

Thanks for the tip it’s been driving mad for two weeks. The moment I changed my start-up file to cm things started to go bananas with the clipping. I thought lowering the Clip Start and raising the Clip End was the way to go, but it’s actually about finding a sweet spot of the clip for the scene.

Hi, I met the same problem with my new computer, all were fine with my old setup.
But on blender 2.3.6 same problem as you.
But I found the problem and how to fix it.

I know it’s an old post but the problem witll here in 2023 :slight_smile: