Blender 2.8 development thread

Ok, so, how do you deal with it?

In a perfect world, people will use the same unit, in this world not, even with 2.8 in metric, that will not change the issue with cm and meter.
People will choose cm to work on small assets and export in fbx or in m to make archi etc.

In my last work we call to the artist and tell him “hey, change the fucking scale, idiot, the next time use the pipelines guidelines”.

you don’t have a way to solve it. You have patch like change scale import, but it’s worst.

Ok, since that’s the current behaviour of Blender, then it is a problem of not comunicating clearly what’s happening with the units. There should be another option then to change ONLY the visualization of the units, instead of changing the size of the objects in the scene

2 Likes

Ok, so now way to deal with it right now.
That could be something to talk with devs no?

It’s really important because not everybody work in a company with guidelines.

3 Likes

So would a global scale function remove this problem?

Like freelance the most important is to talk with clients before to give you the guidelines. It’s the first thing to do.

You go to make a poster for a movie, but you use the template for an icon. When you show to client he told you that it’s bad ¿anyway to deal with it? yeah, redo. Normally you talk with your client before to know if you will doa poster of 10.000px or and icon of 512px.

We actually have it, and is the cause of the problem.

I think it could be a good thing to have that, even for the simulations and rendering, just to have everything matching the same scale right ?

It is a weird behavior for the simulations, having to choose the size of the domain with a parameter.
For rendering, engines are based on the unit system to calculate the light paths, the light does not react the same way on a 3cm object or in a 3km object.

What is this answer?

Of course people work on the correct unit, but when you buy an asset, it’s not always in the same unit, so you are screwed.

Brecht said here:

Clearly there are discussions and misunderstandings every time we talk about units and scales. So I think that 2.8 is a good opportunity to correct this and make units and scales somewhat more flexible, leaving everyone satisfied.

As I understand that’s how Blender currently works, the unit scale is the global scale function, it would be just a matter of stating very clearly that doing any changes on that setting would change the size of the objects according to this global scale.
But then we need another setting to change how the units are presented, so if Blender is set to meters by default we should have the option to keep everything in meters but see the measures in cms or mm, and more important, appending or importing assets should keep their original size instead of being resized automatically.

1 Like

That’s why I asked about that, it’s the good time to talk about that.

In my understanding, on blender, if you are dealing with scenes with different unit, you are screwed so we need something different.

It’s good to see devs working on it, but it seems there don’t have the answer and that for 2.8 that will stay like it is now or with a little change for the view in the soft.

Maya and Max have a concept of display units and scene units. FBX import and export can respect this.

internally they all work the same. different scene units should be managed by appending/ importing.

This came up a few weeks ago in this thread didn’t it? i feel this already running away.

1 Like

I’m just curious. Why do you need to have multiple objects with different units in one scene? Isn’t it confusing that for one object unit is meter and for other object it is centimeter?

I believe that the developer should have fixed the 2.79 problems first, and then improve it to build 2.8, because “mundane” problems start to come up every time I read this thread, and this stuff should have had been fixed years ago, the amount of neglected “features” is starting to accumulate.

When you have a solid base to work it’s easier to improve the workflow.

5 Likes

No, i am talking about a function which actually scales the whole scene, meaning that if you have a cube with 2m size and you scale the whole scene you get a bigger or smaller cube.
That way you can scale a rig before you import it into your scene so that it matches your size.

No, it’s different scenes with different units, when appending or linking an asset.
Because people don’t always work at the same unit.
If you are the only one working, you will keep the same unit, but if you buy an asset or find one on the net, you can have a scene with different unit and in this case you cannot always fix it.

and it’s not easy respect the guidelines? when you work in all programs you need to respect the scale and units. You don’t import a model to unreal and tell “hey, make this character 100 times bigger” (well, you can do it and make your project a really big shit)

1 Like

I’ve gotta say, as someone living in a country where we still use archaic imperial units, all of this complaining about centimeter versus meter versus kilometer scaling is ridiculous.

I can understand if someone has gone totally off the rails and is disregarding scale entirely, that’s a tougher problem, but seriously, is it that hard to divide by 100?

I thought metric conversions were as simple as you could make them…

1 Like

You are working on a game level, the exterior may be in meters, but the interior, and its props, may have been modeled in cm by another artist.

When you import an object in a scene where your walls have an eight of 4m and most room don’t exceed a width of 6m and you find out that your table is 1Km long, how are going to fix it?

2 Likes