Blender 2.8 development thread

Same with the daily builds of 2.79 ? Or only 2.8 ?

I had a similiar problem caused by a delayed win7 update.
After catching up with the updates, the daily builds worked again.

No, on literally everything I tested so far. Also on Eevee and Cycles and the new X-ray mode

EDIT:

8 Likes

Win10 build (no cuda)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0te01nx2bsesp9/Release.zip?dl=0

Some tests.

2 Likes

The way they did the wireframes look very well done compared to 2.79, so I guess this is now an overlay instead of a dedicated drawing mode (which may not be seen as much of a loss).

Also noting all of the UI discussion, the wide variety of opinions on the subject indicates to me that the devs. will not be able to satisfy everyone. However, it seems like we can all agree on certain subjects (such as minimizing UI space utilized for text only or finding a way to pack the checkboxes into the design better. Perhaps the smaller elements can even have two or more instances in a single row within the narrower design (I know it’s supposed to be single-column, but the boxes at least are extremely compact and one per row leaves a lot of space).

2 Likes

This has always been an annoyance for me. I prefer metric, and almost always thinking in millimeters. A throwback perhaps to technical drawing many moons ago. I don’t want my values converted into centimeters, meters and the rest. If I have a cube that’s a meter in all 3 dimensions I want to see 1000mm.

4 Likes

The wireframe overlay is indeed quite nice.

But will there be an option to adjust the level of transparency on the xray mode?

In my opinion, one of the benefits of wireframe is being able to see through objects to click on a specific edge. With the xray wires, you can still do this, but looking through 10 layers of blended shading in addition to the edges, it makes it tougher to do. It’s a whole lot of visual clutter that gets awfully muddy regardless of zoom level.

This is definite progress, but I still feel like the BF is trying desperately to ignore the real benefits of a simple wireframe mode. We’re so close, just an opacity slider away. If I have to live with 50% opacity on every surface, all the time to look at wires, I’m gonna be grumpy.

4 Likes

great, so now we just need an option for glsl face/fragment discard.

Will it be possible to use overlays only on selection for wireframe, xray etc?

To have something like this.

8 Likes

According to the video posted here they are planning to implement an option at object level, some kind of override (coloured wireframes, no?).

Here’s a “fresh” bug, this think happens with Face Orientation to:

2018-05-31_20-49-13

RMB click and the settings revert back

Oh yeah that would be nice.
@SterlingRoth : you don’t have to worry about this ! The layers of transparency don’t add up. That’s a specificity of this implementation.

I sure hope so! This would make retopo work a dream.

1 Like

Wohooo, that it!!
Very well done jacques, that would be awesome!!

X-Ray with Wireframes. Object Mode

X-Ray, Wireframes, Hidden Wire and Limit Selection to visible. Edit Mode for the object in front

X-Ray, Hidden Wire and Limit Selection to visible. Edit Mode, object on the background selected last.

:upside_down_face:

YES, that’s exactly what I had in mind. Amazing Jacques was able to implement that so quickly. This increase-column-by-width behavior and the continued effort to cleanup the layout to accommodate a single line layout will be ideal.

Can anybody find the task item in the developer.blender.org site so we can point the developers to the video? I can’t seem to find it, but I assume there must be a task.

Where I can find the mark seam option? For uv unwraping

perhaps not adding technically, but the layers combine all the shaded surfaces. This can be a hindrance in some situations.

3 Likes

Some potential good news for topbar haters: Campbell added in a tool properties editor type(https://developer.blender.org/rB995fa1f4c0b1dc746b0978033b41984a653784e4).

It seemingly duplicates most of the settings in the topbar and puts them back in a more familiar vertical bar.

2 Likes

So, we’re gonna have the same tools visible multiple times.

It seems to blend colors, right ?
By the way thanks guys for the suggestion, updating the video drivers did it ! I can test 2.8 for myself. :slight_smile: One thing I found is that dragging a color slider a bit too far from within a popover closes the popover.

1 Like

Lukas you are amazing!