Blender 2.8 development thread

There’s no Dimensions in Edit Mode

2018-06-06_19-38-14

2018-06-06_19-42-26

This is the voodoo I mean, if you know another method…

If you divide 1 by the length that is subdivided by the number you want (1/(2/0.5), you’ll get the size you want, though, as you can see, if you type 2/0.5, in the first case, it would do some strange stuff like 1/20.5, so I had to press multiply (*), then backspace few times, then I could get Blender to accept 1/(2/0.5).

Usability trumps logical placement in this case

In term of things like the N panel and the popovers, the tradeoff would be a much wider N panel and much larger popovers (which I don’t think a lot of people who want maximum 3D view interaction would desire).

Of course, there’s always the possible alternative in doing the transforms the same way the color picker is done (and come to think of it, that could work as long as you can key the values within and it’s not overly easy to make it go poof before doing anything).

Tbh, I’m waiting to see the deah of the N panel. :wink: and btw, no tools in the viewport too, c’mon, a viewport needs to be just this, a viewport.

1 Like

2 Likes

Why do you fear the Industry?

Don’t you realize that the uncommon one is Cinema 4D, and Blender is implementing Industry solutions?

This is XSI:
2018-06-06_19-59-45

In the next iteration of Blender you’ll see the “green rounded squares” too, they are used to set Keyframes.

3 Likes

Not magic, simple paradigm shift (more standard math and also, here location comes to play :wink: ).
Pay attention and it will come to you. Resist, but then rather stay with C4D. Nobody is forcing you to switch, but you sure are forcing us to adapt to your ways.

I can’t imagine what would be your take on Houdini then.

Different tools, different goals - use to complement and not to compete. Art is always the winner.

1 Like

What are you talking? Please stop.
Everybody knows that Blender is the alien app in the market, it’s pointless arguing. And the code quest is here because of that, otherwise there would be no need for a “workflow” release.

1 Like

16bit exr for matcaps is overkill. PNGs would be enough.

That was my solution for the problem, since there’s no clear way to do that, how would you approach it?

I’m not forcing anything yo anyone, I’m only showing how stuff is done on other platforms.

And thanks for mentioning Houdini

I have no problems with it:

Do you?

What about the tool widgets which will appear when a tool is activated?

I think artists would appreciate being able to spend more time in the viewport and less time typing values in fields or pushing buttons (though the latter will still be there for those who need precision).

I know that the industry pros are used to spending a lot of time outside of the viewport of [insert app. here], but I get the impression that they just don’t want to see new concepts in certain areas because it will break old knowledge (sure it can change, but you can see just how long it took for things like global illumination to make its debut in many productions).

The Blender devs. shouldn’t stop their innovation at the point where the industry tells them to stop. If FOSS gets a chance to truly innovate, then it should (commercial vendors should not have the exclusive right to such and we should’t be forced to adhere to legacy workflows if there is resistance otherwise).

1 Like

The widgets in the viewport are ok, they are a must have. :wink:

EDIT: The flags are starting now. :smile:

1 Like

Well i tried.
Not sure that i like something like this on the right compared to the thing on the left. But i don’t understand, as editors are editors. :slight_smile:

Anyway, current implementation is clearly not finished and depending on the bl_context it can produce a mess as that the only entry that really separates the two concerning editors.

Agreed… slider labels are such a good idea, I have no clue why they’re trying to get rid of it. This is ridiculous.

1 Like

I think they decided that it would be better to make the value inside the field center aligned for some reason. That is why they are now worried that the value in the field will clip the label.

Personally, I don’t like that change. It was easier to read with short labels inside the field and text aligned to the right.

1 Like

Hmmm. Remember that’s exactly how it was, like, four or five versions ago ? Center-aligned values in sliders.

Oh. I didn’t realize. I started with 2.72. I just re-downloaded it. They seem to be right aligned in 2.72b. I suppose I’m just more bias to them being right aligned then. That’s the only way I’ve used the fields.

One thing I like in C4D is that I can even change the input field type of anything.
Would be nice in blender. :smiley:

2018-06-06_19-53-45

1 Like

Seems a bit excessive. Supposedly there were concerns with upgrading when the menu items are customizable. I have no clue why that is an issue, but custom field types would probably be harder to implement.

Hehehe, C4D invested heavily in customization lol. Basically I can recreate almost any interface out there. It’s crazy.

Not really (I guess), because those “custom” field types are not really custom, they exist in other parts of the appplication/tools/settings, like in blender we have several input types too, in c4d they just gave us access to it. :wink: