Blender 2.8 StuG III Ausf G

KEVJON,

I categorize my 2.8 experience as: “Things I really like”, “Things I really Don’t like,” and “Things I don’t like now, but will probably get used to”.

I like the ability to have lots of layers (collections). Having more than 20 is great. Being able to label and organize them is even better. Two things I don’t like about layers, however, are:

1. When I create a new object, it sometimes gets placed in an invisible layer. I then have to open up all my layers until I find the new object. This may just be a learning issue on my part.

2. The shortcut keys for switching between Vertex, Line and Face edit modes are 1, 2, 3. If, however, you press 1,2, or 3 while in Object mode, all collections other than collection 1, 2 or 3 are hidden and Collection 1, 2 or 3 is made visible. This includes hiding all non-selected sub-collections. There are many times when I have accidentally hidden all the visible collections and have had to work my way through the hierarchy opening up the collections I want to see.

Group instances have been changed to Collection Instances. I could not get the Collection instance to work as well as I could Group instances. For example, I created a master track link and then created Collection Instances to put the tracks on the tank. When I made changes to the master link, those changes were not reflected in the duplicate links. This is different behavior than in 2.79. Maybe it’s a bug. Maybe this is by design. I don’t know.

I really don’t like using empties as background images. I thought the old systems was great. I know I can still setup background images for specific cameras, but it seems a lot less convenient than the old system.

I do like the many lighting options that are available while modeling. It really makes it easier to see the shapes.

I’m having some out of memory issues in 2.8 that I don’t think I would have had in 7.9. I suspect it’s due to the track links (the rest of the model is really low poly).

They’ve changed how normal directions are highlighted. I found it easy to see inverted normals in 2.79. In 2.8, the shading is much more subtle and not immediately obvious.

In general, however, the switch to 2.8 was easy. I’m sure it will get better as they get closer to final release and I’m very grateful to all the people who volunteer their time to make this product.

CLOCKMENDER,

I will probably not rig it. If I can get past the out-of-memory errors, I plan to do an interior, like I did on my Panther cut-away and my other WIP U-Boat cut-away

1 Like