Blender 2.8 video export media file

Hi there,

How to export video animations in blender 2.8 to file format H.264 or Photo JPEG?
I can’t find any help to get this formats out of blender 2.8.

Thank you.

ldon

You need to go to the tabs along the top and select Video Editing. On my setup it was hidden under the ‘+’ button at the right hand end. Then use SHIFT+A to add your media to the sequencer view; set your end frame; in the Properties editor select the Output tab, scroll down to the Output section and fill in the boxes there. Under File Format select FFmpeg Video, then underneath that in the Encoding section there is a preset menu to the right of the title (three dot and bar icon), click that and you should see several options for H.264. I’m not sure about PhotoJPEG; for stills there’s a JPEG option under File Format. Does that answer your question?

1 Like

Awesome. I spent long while trying to find it and all I had to do is open the encoding menu under FFmpeg video format. Thanks so much.

When I leave the Properties editor, and go to File>Export it showes options like Collada (Default) (.dae) and 6 further options. Which option should I choose to export the video? Or am I all wrong?

Hi Michael, I’m not sure what you are trying to achieve. The File > Export submenu is for exporting the geometry data so that the 3D model can be imported into other software. You can’t produce a video using that menu. To produce a video you need to render an animation. Ctrl+F12 or Render > RenderAnimation. Prior to doing that you need to set up the output section in the Properties Editor just as I describe above.

1 Like

Thanks for answering. I thought I had to use the Export option in the File menu, because that’s how it’s done in the OpenShot (Open source video editor). Now I have succesfully produced a video by your advice using the Render>RenderAnimation. I feel less stupid now, and I look forward to produce further more videos using Blender.

That’s good to hear. Navigating the Blender UI can be a little confusing at times. I’m glad you figured it out.