Blender 2.80 open file dialog, cannot open shortcuts

Hi, maybe it’s me, but when I click File -> Open, I can’t open the shortcut link to a folder, Blender leaves the Open File Dialog, gets back in the interface and prints an Error Message (that it couldn’t open the .lnk file).
Windows uses shortcuts, Blender should have no problems with them (as far as I know, there were no problems in previous versions).

1 Like

It might worth creating a new post for this feature on https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/

Thank you, to be honest I don’t think this “feature” has to be requested, being the capacity of navigating folders in a file system one of the basic tasks for every software.

I posted your suggestion:

Why not? It isn’t really a “folder in a file system”. It is a proprietary Microsoft-only file that contains information about another file or folder. As such it is pretty optional. If you really want to make a real shortcut to a file or folder that works without any work then make symlink.

Otherwise some volunteer has to write the code that interprets what is in the file. Here is the 48-page specification of that file:

https://winprotocoldoc.blob.core.windows.net/productionwindowsarchives/MS-SHLLINK/%5bMS-SHLLINK%5d-170915.pdf

1 Like

mmm…
sorry but I can’t agree
The .lnk extension exists since quite some years and, most important, previous versions of Blender had no problem managing .lnk files, so why should we ask for this?
I mean: I wouldn’t ask for a driver to let keyboard and mouse communicate with Blender. Should the software that I download not being able to manage a keyboard or a mouse, I wouls assume there must be a bug.

LOL. good luck with that.

You have to tell what and where the lnk extension worked in Blender. I’m using it since 2.4x series on windows and AFAIK Blender never supported lnk files at all. What Blender support are symbolic links since windows 7, because Windows supports them transparently.

You are right: older versions of Blender couldn’t open .lnk shortcuts too (at least 2.78 which I use to use). I made the mistake because I had my bookmarks organized in the Open File Dialog and could reach the very same folders wich have Desktop Shortcuts in a click by those links.
Though, I hope that you will agree that it would be time to make Blender able to manage this basic task.
Back in 2006 Blender was aimed more to a niche of users, but the present path is oriented to a more mainstream audience, so in my opinion this kind of limitation was more acceptable ten years ago than today.