Blender 2.82 will have USD Support!

ah thanks! that’s what it was :smiley: only remembered the experimental section, why is that off by default?

Experimental options were “removed” from the preferences (or rather enabled by default if I understand this commit correctly):
https://developer.blender.org/rBafcdea3961c2cc9a63c2e8613f8bbfa0ba49f583

USD support isn’t in the buildbot builds yet because the libraries still need to be updated.

It’s still all there, that committ is about something else…

Yeah, it would be nice to have it on by default…

You’re right, of course… :wink:

For Blender to have a good USD/Hydra integration it needs to change it’s core data structure to match it, otherwise it won’t benefit from it besides having an importer/exporter.

I wouldn’t put my hopes high on BF as they have taken a different direction from what the rest are doing and there is no easy way to trackback.

Blender wil probably be the last Software to get it in this new decade unless some Studios who are already using Blender in their production and need this tech decide to do it & push the development upstream, of course Blender Foundation has to agree to these fundamental changes before we can see anything, but i do hope that it would be well integrated like what Autodesk & SideFx have done so it can work with Eevee & Cycles and other external engines.

Anyone know if there’s any plans at all to be able to link to a USD file in Blender?

I’m talking about a workflow where the USD contains the geometry and you use this in Blender, Max, Omniverse, whatever but you never make duplicates of the data (possibly only add layers to it),

1 Like

Short answer: It’s being discussed, but lacks a clear design yet, thus no tangible plans yet neither.

Long answer:

greetings, Kologe

3 Likes