Blender 2.90 Released

I love the new splash.

Feature Showcase video:

New Features breakdown:

Features page:

16 Likes

OPTIX_ERROR_INVALID_VALUE in optixDenoiser(denoiser, OPTIX_DENOISER_MODEL_KIND_HDR , NULL, 0) (device_optix.cpp:917)

…but OpenImageDenoise works like a charm :slight_smile:

edit3: Maybe one could add a “Sample Step” (Denoise at every Sample Step)… like every 100 samples for example. And an End Sample, haha

Cool stuff!

I’m already on 2.91 alpha, having rarely used an official release build for more than a decade (in part due to dev. builds being more stable than what is seen in most projects) :slight_smile:

For those who need maximum stability, this should be a decent release.

8 Likes

There is plenty of useful things in this release.
One of the smaller but necessary things is the “Easier to resize area” feature.

Resizing on a 4k monitor was beyond annoying.

https://developer.blender.org/rB4e8693ffcddb

6 Likes

Yeah, same here. I don’t even remember the last official release I actively used, tbh. Official releases are still fun due to the media coverage and things, though.

4 Likes

Looking at all the features mentioned in the video, it almost feels like a lifetime ago in terms of Blender development time.

Always chasing the latest update as an Alpha tester makes you realise what a mountain you have climbed after looking back at all the steps. Must look pretty steep for the people still at the bottom. :wink:

4 Likes

No mention of a fix for the undo breaking brush parameters in sculpt mode?

3 Likes

Was it reported?

If it was and it seems like the devs. don’t want to fix it, bump the report thread and make the devs. see it again.

1 Like

Same here. I love being on the cutting edge of Blender development, and keeping track of the alpha releases makes it easier to learn new features one at a time, in stead of having to dive into a slew of new features when a new version has been released.

To be honest it slightly annoys me lately that everyone and his/her cat screams out loud on Twitter about how fantastic (a new) Blender (release) is. It makes me rebellious, critical and sceptical when something becomes so popular that it becomes a common trend to unconditionally praise it, even by people who barely know what they’re talking about.

I always love the underrated underdog, and Blender is not that anymore. It has become a major player. Which is good for the most part, but it also has its annoying sides.

3 Likes

But even videos on the official Blender channel make ridiculous claims, that are honestly quite embarrassing. This feature sum-up opens with “Just when you thought Blender couldn’t get any better…”.

WHY exactly would anyone think that Blender couldn’t get better? Blender has a lot of areas to get much better in (and it should), so starting an official video with that sounds very unprofessional.

2 Likes

Do you mean that , funny, emotional and a bit overhyped videos look unprofessional ?
Go see some ads out there…
This is no academic survey - this is marketing (I almost said Sparta ! :wink: )

I guess it’s more a question of taste.
Some like it cool some like it hot…
Can’t really please everyone…

2 Likes

While it would be nice to see at least a splash of humility in Blender’s new marketing department , nearly every company in existence hypes up their product (Autodesk, Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Unity, Epic, AT&T, General Motors, McDonalds, Walmart, big pharma, you name it). The unfortunate truth is that companies that use splashy marketing almost always will sell more product than companies that are honest.

It kind of parallels what happens to nice guys in political races, they almost always fall behind the ones who spend money on negativity and attack ads. The human mind by default is not near as sensible, as logical, and as thorough as we care to admit.

It seems really unlikely that Pablo is not aware of this bug, considering the amount of time he spends developing the sculpting mode.

1 Like

Anyone but me who can’t get ambient occlusion to show up i the viewport in Eevee?

The render pass works, but I can’t see it in the viewport at all, nor in the combined render… I have to make a composite image in a separate program to see it.

Seems to be working fine for me.

Wrong developer to blame. Pablo is aware, but he can’t fix it. At least Cambpell is aware of it, and it seems devs are trying to solve it, but as usual, is not as simple as it seems, as with all things UNDO.

Library overides still crash all the time.

When I see comments about much hyped new features crashing and being full of bugs I think it show’s Blender really is up there with the mainstream industry apps now. :slight_smile:

But more seriously as mentioned by Metin, I think it really is a full player now. Certainly not an underdog anymore.

I seem to be the opposite to the norm as regards new releases. Unless it is a new feature I am incredibly curious about and I want to test it out specifically, I normally wait for one or sometimes two of the bug fix releases before thinking of moving on over. Stability is everything to me and I want to be able to focus on the work more than the app. I’m still using 2.79 right now at a small artists studio for some video and animation projects we are making there.

The studio Mac’s are quite old and don’t run 2.8 well. But 2.79 is stable as a rock and we are getting great results with it I switched over to 2.8 a long time back. But I can still have 2.79 running as well on my home PC workstation and work on these studio projects from there as well. In fact I’m doing all of the hard surface modeling in 2.8 and importing it into 2.79. That’s always been one of the biggest advantages to Blender for me. There is just so much freedom and flexibility.

1 Like

Just downloaded 2.9 but the new extrude options are not there.Is this an add on to be enabled in the preferences first?

Found how to access the extra options. Click and hold on the icon. But the new Extrude, dissolve and intersect option is not there. Has it been dropped for the final release?

I think they were waiting for newboolean(which I think is in master now?) Before continuing with extrude manifold.

2 Likes