Blender 3.4 Geometry Nodes Long Loading Times when Adding a Node

Hi there,
Anyone else experiencing long loading times when adding a node in Geometry Nodes in 3.4?
It seems to be related to the assets libraries. It all works fine when I remove all the asset library file paths… Is there a way to stop blender to look for these assets in geo nodes?

How big is the lag?
Is the lag connected to all assets or specific ones?
Please document both.

it takes around 20s to load the node list.
I have different asset libraries, mainly archviz models. They are not huge, around 10-20 models per library. The more libraries I have linked in the File Path the longer it takes to load. But even with one of them, it already takes around 10s to load every time I try to add a new node in GM

I have only two Asset Libs and mainly use Catalogs for organization, so can’t really test this.
Maybe someone with similar setup as you have can say more.

You can also try to ask developers directly in the chat if the have ever encounter similar problem and if this can qualify as a potential bug.

1 Like

How many .blends do you have in your library, and what is the total file size of your library ( only the .blend) ?

I only see a limited amount of options. To know how many assets you have in your library blender needs to open each one of these .blend, it’s only an issue if there is a huge amount of data in the .blend.

Say your .blend is 10Gb because of a huge mesh, but your asset in that file is a material that weight only a few Kb, in that case blender needs to load the 10Gb first into memory to extract the few Kb.
Added to that, if you use the compress file option, you add a extra time for unpacking the data.

That’s only my wild guess here but I don’t think blender is clever enough to only extract the relevant data without reading the whole file.

So that’s option 1, option 2 is , if it’s not related to file size, it’s evaluation, like if you load a complex geo node tree which might be only a few kb, if it generates a lot of geometry , then the slowdown comes from that generation time.

Same if you append an object with at lot of modifier or high subsurf, it need some time to compute the final mesh.

Here I think blender doesn’t need to evaluate objects at least to construct the list in the asset browser , so I don’t think it’s an issue.

You mentionned 3.4 , did the same scene worked in 3.3 without issues ?

Then option 3, since a few changes has been made to 3.4, like removal of transfer attibute, and replacement of mix rgb , it can be that blender tries to replace these things on the fly.

Make a backup of your lib, open and save each .blend to update these things and see if you’re still having these issue.

option 5 : have a great weekend !

2 Likes

There was mentioned an issue of slow loading from the search menu on the dev chat a few days ago.

It spans above a lot of posts there, and if i remember correctly there was an experimental solution to fix this in a corrective release for 3.4. And it is listed as a potential candidate for that.

Definitely my favorite option!

2 Likes

yes, same file worked perfectly in 3.3
From what @moshus says, it is very likely to be a bug, will follow that post.
Thank you all and will go for option 5 for now :wink:

2 Likes

Me too.
In Blender 3.4 loading in geometry nodes freeze around 20s .

1 Like