Blender 3.4 with AMD GPU 22 drivers

Is there any way to render with Radeon RX6000 series graphic card with Blender 3.4 under linux? After 2 days of trying diferent kernel/amdgpu driver combinations finally it seem that driver is installed.

Vendor: AMD
    Version: 22.3.0
    Accelerated: yes

However, Blender still does not display the graphic card in the preferences window even though the driver version (22.3) is higher than required (22.1)

Zrzut ekranu z 2023-01-06 16-28-48

Kernel: 5.15.0-57-generic Ubuntu 20.4 LTS

AMD driver: 22.40 for Ubuntu 20.4 LTS

Is this an AMD driver or Blender fault? What else can i do to make it work?

1 Like

You didn’t specify your Linux distro, GPU exact model and driver installation method.

You can verify ROCm installation with rocminfo or clinfo tools. Here is more comprehensive installation manual. Might be a little outdated, but its the best one I have found.
AMD user-facing documentation is fragmented and often confusing.

https://docs.amd.com/bundle/ROCm_Installation_Guidev5.0/page/How_To_Install_ROCm.html#_Installation_Methods

actually i have found solution.
Final step is to run Blender with sudo
“sudo blender”
described all steps at your thread Recognition of AMD(Pro) video cards in HIP (Linux)
Zrzut ekranu z 2023-01-06 17-44-47

I don’t think running Blender as root is a good idea, but its good that your GPU is detected.
Maybe your user is not part of render or other important group? I’d check group and user privileges, and dig around what they should look like regarding ROCm.

1 Like

I was just gonna post: it’s outdated… then … there is a huge difference between :

• Radeon HD 6000 series and the
  • Radeon RX 6000 series.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes, thanks. :blush: