Blender 4.0.2, Syntheyes import not including geometry?

Hi,
When I export a scene from Syntheyes as a python script, I can import it into Blender 3.6 and everything comes in, including meshes. But when I try and import the exact same python file to Blender 4, no meshes appear.
Anyone else noticed this? I’m not sure if it’s a Syntheyes export which needs updating, or a Blender bug, but either way, I suspect it’s the 4.0 update which has broken something.

Are you getting an error similar to this?’

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/SHOT320_v03.py", line 24089, in <module>
  File "/SHOT320_v03.py", line 7621, in SynthEyes2Blender
AttributeError: 'Mesh' object has no attribute 'calc_normals'. Did you mean: 'flip_normals'?

I had a problem with Blender 4.0 when it was alpha and sent Russ Andersson a bug report. Here’s what he wrote back (that fixed it for me):

Hi Steffen-

Thanks for letting me know. I found the alpha python release notes at https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/4.0/Python_API , it looks like they just don’t need that value any more, and rather than ignore it, they throw an error. You can work around it just by deleting the calc_normals line from the exported python.

Let me know if you see anything else.

If it’s a different error you’re getting, as a workaround you could also just use 3.6 for import and then continue working in 4.x without a problem.

Thanks Steffen,

Yes that’s the exact same issue I was having. I don’t use python much, so was fairly ignorant of the error message. LOL. Deleting that line fixed it. Thanks.
Hopefully Russ will have that on a list of changes.

Last night I used 3.6 to import it, then transfer to 4, so it wasn’t a showstopper. Nice to have a workaround within 4. Will be even better if it gets fixed properly.
Cheers,
Derek

Are you using the very latest Syntheyes version (2024.1 Build 1058)?

I haven’t exported anything to Blender since it came out a few days ago. Maybe it’s fixed already?

I thought I was up-to date. I’m on 2024, but build 1057.

Am updating now…

Right, am on 1058, aaaaaaand…

… Nope, ‘calc_normals’ and error still there. Oh well.

1 Like