Blender 4.0 Template Usage

Hello Everyone,

Blender 4.0 - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Referencing this:
Docs - Blender Templates

Under the section - Directory Layout, it would seem that in addition to the startup file for the template, I should be able to use an independent userpref file.

With a template:
./config/{APP_TEMPLATE_ID}/startup.blend
./config/{APP_TEMPLATE_ID}/userpref.blend

I never really “install”, blender, I just unzip into the directory of my choice and create shortcuts.

My install looks like:

/Programs/Blender_4.0

And my template setup is:

/Programs/Blender_4.0/4.0/scripts/startup/bl_app_templates_system/MyTemp

In which I have:
startup.blend userpref.blend

I can open my new template from the splash screen or file new - as advertised, as well as save and overwrite the specific startup.blend, but how do I make use of this specific userpref.blend?

After launching the template, if I simply open preferences and save preferences, this specific userpref.blend is not modified. Rather, it modifies the one in my typical user directory:

/home/MyStuff/.config/blender/4.0/config

What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

The templates are nothing else but usual blender configurations but explicitly moved to the template location… where also some python code can be…

I’m not totally sure…because it didn’t used this feature yet… (but since you wrote that the template userprefs isn.t overwritten…) …i guess…

…if you want to change some userprefs in a template… then you have to save your original userprefs, copy the template userprefs to the actual userprefs, change and save it… and re-copy it to the template userprefs

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately, nothing I seem to try with this makes any difference to the way I think it should work - intuitively anyway.

I would expect that if I have a userpref file in the same directory as the template startup, that by opening the template I would be using the associated userpref.

Well… using… i guess it is read from there… but since it’s a template… the “user” should not overwrite it… making the use of a template useless…
…maybe they should have implemented a save as template feature… IDK…

…also the docu says:

Only certain preferences from a template are used…