Blender 4.1 Auto Smooth is now a modifier ONLY!

But why each time? If you know you need 67deg auto smooth you just set it once and it works.
And the needs to open certain panel was solved by addons (hardops or PME).

And, probably, i will saw a dinosaur on the street.
Till all those years i only saw how developers adding something. Basically always in more or less awkward way, but i never saw they really fix crap except small changes.
The theory/opinion which i was heard, they change subd algorithm during 2.7 to 2.8 transition because in 2.7 something was wrong.
Subd modifier is still crap: https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/60733
5 yers passed. No changes.

1 Like

Donā€™t understand why ppl are losing itā€¦ Setting Auto-Smooth is still an option.

GN Autosmooth is superior since you can control it via Attributes.

The old way was restrictive since you couldnā€™t do that. Also, you can do this now.

New way is better. Get over it yā€™all.

15 Likes

So, letā€™s get this straight. From 4.1 onwards, auto smooth will be a modifier only. Which means:

• instances will no longer count as duplicates and will no longer benefit from memory savings.
  • it will no longer be possible to select many meshes and apply auto smooth at once. Many different parts of the model can already have multiple modifiers assigned to them, and linking an auto smooth will potentially break the individual hierarchies.
  • every single object will require an extra step in the form of a modifier just to have it shade properly?
13 Likes
  1. Not all people need geonodes and attributes at all.
  2. Any time you collapse modifier stack - it will require to reassing those modifier which wasnt necessary previously.

Because you doesnt get how its works exactly.
Previously: you set angle ONCE and it will work that way forever no matter what until you disable it of change angle settings.
Now: it will apply those smooth settings ONCE and if you change geometry - it will no longer keep appropriate smooth results and you would need to use those command again every time you change something and smoothing wouldnt be correct.

4 Likes

3dsmax use a modifier back in 2006 than they added it as base mesh option and everyone was happy. Blender changed it backward in 2023, now we need modifiers on each object to do the same work. Modeling is not important anymore.

5 Likes

With Geometry Nodes, they are step by step unifying how meshes are treated. Auto Smooth is without doubt an ugly left over. Converting it into a modifier makes a lot of sense. Like that, everything is in one place, and there isnā€™t a special option somewhere else which has an impact on everything.
Sure, there should be ways to keep existing workflows alive.

8 Likes

Modo has here a quite nice concept, they moved it to shaders. So the shader is by default set to 40Ā° which is a perfect value.
This is only applied, if the mesh has no normal map (equal to costume normals) or use smoothing groups (which are super cool implemented by the way=

3dsmax since 2006 has set it to 60Ā°, which I found to much and you need often to change it.

Like always, unless I want pure 100% smoothing on an organic object. Or a sphere.

6 Likes

Always after adding a Cylinder or a simple opened shape with a solidfy modifier.
So, the switch to an operator does not change anything for me.

But it is true that, until we have ability to select several modifiers to apply them at once : that is a regression to apply them, one by one, to avoid to apply Smooth by Angle modifier, or to have to remove sharp edges and readd a modifier after apply them all.

If they have done the modifier list or added the Apply item to Outinerā€™s right click menu, that would have be fine.

5 Likes

If you model, you have smooth and non smooth edges. Using mark hard edge is very time consuming. Maya had that in the beginning, then switch to auto smooth option.

6 Likes

Huh?

Huh?

Same amount of stepsā€¦ See vid.

14 Likes

Yeah, I think the main problem, which has always been one, is that it is difficult to copy modifiers. Only workaround is the Copy Attributes addon.

Making autosmooth a modifier makes a lot of sense and is quite coherent. Having to set it for each linked objects sucks. I think this is the right time in the development process to write to the devs about it.

10 Likes

I donā€™t mark every single edge hardā€¦ Just those that fall below the threshold of the automatic angle.

1 Like

Well, what are you doing here ? you should be either using another software or leading blender developmentā€¦

2 Likes

It seems like part of the issue can be solved by once and for all making the entire modifier stack a datablock type (which I would argue is especially important now since modifiers are becoming an increasingly central part of the workflow).

I believe the devs. have plans to overhaul the concept of the stack itself, so this may already be on the todo list.

3 Likes

Could you explain that? How is it handled now and how do you think it might be changed?

I simply donā€™t have enough silly ideas to lead the whole development, so i will not suit the team perfectly.

If I had a bunch of duplicates using the Alt+D method, the mesh data would be shared among those items. That is until a modifier is put on the duplicate mesh, then it counts as an individual mesh and you no longer get the memory savings.

Now, you show the cylinder ā€œtakingā€ the smoothing from Susane. What if, the cylinder already had some modifiers set to it, does that not override the set up?

2 Likes

If this is an essential part of your workflow, this can be achieved with a Python script and I am quite confident you would get help from the community to get this issue sorted out.

Edit: It seems to developers already considered that and a script should not even be needed as shown in the next post.
Edit 2: I think I am wrong again :smiley:

This not using modifierā€¦ just option (from right-click menu):

4 Suzannes with alt-d and one cylinder:

Does that alleviate your fears?

Modifier is only there if you want the extra control (I believe).

8 Likes