Blender 4.1 Skinning: Remove multiple bone weights

Hello, is it possible to remover the weight influence from “multiple bones” at once?

1. For example, I wish to remove the influence of all these bones from a selection of verts I have on the hips.

2. Is there a way of selecting all the vertex groups and removing all the weights at once? Selecting each vertex group one at a time is a lengthy process.

For a particular selection of vertices? In edit mode, ctrl-g vertex group specials->remove from all. (You could also just delete all the vertex groups-- you can delete all from the dropdown (downward caret on your pic, properties viewport.)

In this case, it’s not that hard to click “remove” 4 times, but if you had a thousand groups, you could lock one set of vertices, invert lock (vertex group dropdown), do a “levels” operation in weight paint on all vertex groups, and then, optionally, do a “clean” operation to remove those vertices from their groups instead of just having them assigned at 0 weight.

1 Like

The “Clean” operation is grey’d out.

1. I selected the vertex group and locked it.

2, from the drop down, I find “Clean” grey’d out.

1. Lock the groups, then invert lock. You don’t want the groups you want cleared to be locked; you want all other groups to be locked.

2. That’s “clear active group” which isn’t the same thing as “clean.” Clean should be on your menus in the 3D viewport when you’re in weight paint mode, but I always call it from a searchbar (easier to type than to navigate menus.)

This “clean” operation?

1 Like

When I “Clean” remove the other weights from the vertex group, will the weights auto normalize?

1 Like

Yes, that clean.

Clean does not change weights on defaults, it just removes vertex from groups to which they have a weight of 0.

Levels operation does change weights, and if you want normalized weights, you should follow it up with a normalize all operation.

2 Likes