Blender Addon: Piperator, Generation of Pipe Networks / New version with vertex color pipe control

Hi Xan. Is it integrated into houdini by default or are you the author of this procedural asset? If so, could you please share it?

I am not the author. I just posted this screenshot for inspiration.

OK thanks. Do you remember the source of the screenshot?

This particular one, no, I couldn’t find the source back. But similar scripts have been created:

1 Like

They are the same ones that I had found doing the search on Google. Thanks anyway.

Hi @xan2622. Thx for sharing. I actually have a lot on my list, biggest issue is time besides my “real-life” job. Additionlly, I am also working on another addon right now. i’ll come back to this one here and update it. Number one on my list is basically to put custom assets on the pipes.

2 Likes

Does it work with 2.82? When I try to install the addon it doesn’t show up in the addon list. I don’t get an error message as well, that’s the first time I see that.

I think you need to look in testing tab for addon in your preference you should see and activate the addon here

1 Like

That’s correct, this causes so much confusion that i’ll remove that in the next version.

1 Like

Add-on won’t work on my 2.82

Won’t work, can mean a lot of things and then we are all guessing. Most likely I don’t know how to solve it, but to prepare your question for the next one who’s going to help you, could you provide some details like:

• What do you mean with not working?
  • After installing, do you see the addon in the preferences?
  • If not: how did you install the addon
  • If yes: what happens when you activate the addon.
  • In case you were able to activate the addon, do you see it in (where it supposed to be, …npanel?)
  • etc etc.

You could also start your very first question with something like: I succesfully installed the addon, and I see it in the N-Panel. But when I press button x after selecting y , I get an error “the error message.”. Then I tried to look up the error message in Google, but don’t understand what is means. I tried also in another Workspace, and I tried with factory settings but I get the same error. I use Blender 2.82 and I downloaded the latest version of the addon and that is version x.x.x. I am on Windows 10 Home.

1 Like

Any news in this addon? An addon like this should be on the trunk.

A lot to do in my “real job” right now. But I will sit down on this addon in a little bit and provide some updates…

1 Like

thanks ;). @Tetwisted: Peetie pretty much summarized it.

1 Like

I’m glad for that. Your job is really good.

Any video tutorial on how syntexmex work. Im using widows so i have to download the win zip file. But why its to heavy 93 MB for addon. Thanks

answered here: *New Addon*: Syntexmex "Seamless PBR Texture Synthesis on UV maps"

Just tried piperator yesterday - and really like it. I did find a slight bug - some of the pipes intersect slightly under certain conditions (I can update with a screenshot if desired).

Some suggestions for features:

1. Allow random radius for a given range.
  2. Allow for multiple runs - each with their own settings, Keep results of each run, and add them to the final result successively.

Thanks!

The addon is not installing at all on 2.90. Something is computed in the background for few seconds, then it says “module installed”, and that’s it. It’s not in the addons list, no errors in console.

I’ve read here that it installs in Testing category, so it actually installs.

Still, errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Acrivec\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\piperator\pipe_operator.py", line 911, in execute
    use_vertex_colors=self.use_vertex_colors)
  File "C:\Users\Acrivec\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\piperator\pipe_operator.py", line 665, in add_pipes
    normals = list(mh.normalized_arr(normals))
  File "C:\Users\Acrivec\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\piperator\lib\helpers\mathhelp.py", line 49, in normalized
    def normalized(x): return x * (1.0 / norm(x))
FloatingPointError: divide by zero encountered in double_scalars

bpy.ops.mesh.add_pipes(use_vertex_colors=True)
  File "C:\Users\Acrivec\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\piperator\pipe_operator.py", line 911, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Acrivec\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\piperator\pipe_operator.py", line 665, in add_pipes
  File "C:\Users\Acrivec\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\piperator\lib\helpers\mathhelp.py", line 49, in normalized

bpy.ops.mesh.add_pipes(use_vertex_colors=False)

bpy.ops.mesh.add_pipes(surfaceglue=False, use_vertex_colors=False)

There is no really info about how this works. I’ve created a plane, in edit mode added one more plane and shifted it. It created a pipe but not a straight one (as I’d like). After subdividing them and trying again - those errors.