Blender and 3070 Ti

I’m looking for a new graphics card, and I originally attempted to buy RTX 3080, but I can’t seem to find any at an affordable price.

So I’m looking at the new 3070 Ti, and I was wondering if the 3070 Ti is supported in Blender (Cycles as well as Eevee)?

Can I expect a decrease in Cycles render times in 3070 Ti with RTX/Optix compared to my 1080 Ti+1070?

1 Like

Hi, all newer Nvidia cards are supported.
I don´t have exact numbers but GTX cards doesnt have RTX core, it is only a simulation.
Here are some numbers: https://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-rendering-performance/

Cheers, mib

Do you only have one PCI slot on your motherboard? If you have two you will certainly benefit using both cards together. Make sure you get a 3070 Ti that fits the arrangement you have height wise in this case.

If you need to remove the 1080Ti to use the new card things will certainly be faster but you may be a little disappointed at the real world difference in some scenes. 1080Ti is not a bad card and has nice VRAM so you are already working with some power!

I’m very impatient regarding render times, which is why I’m usually relying on Eevee for animations.

But Eevee is a disappointment because it cannot ray trace, and that’s why I need a very fast, very powerful graphics card.

I don’t want to wait 10 sec. per frame to render for a simple animation with simple shaders and less than a million vertices. It needs to get done at least twice as fast. In Cycles.

1 Like

I am also impatient! Did you see my question about how many PCI slots you have? This is a critical question in making this decision easy. If you have two and enough power from your PSU then a 3070 Ti will definitely make things much faster because it can render together with the 1080 Ti. If you have to replace the 1080 Ti you may not see as much advantage as you like, although the RTX advantage might make it worth it!

Also - if you havent used the Bone Studio builds on graphicall they help speed up rendering a lot!

Well, I’m buying a new PC with Asus Prime x570-P. Shouldn’t that have enough PCI slots?

The PSU will be Corsair RM750x (750W). Do I need to get any higher?

1 Like

Wait - how can I render RTX/Optix on 3070 Ti and Cuda on GTX 1080 simultanously in Blender?
It seems it is either Optix or Cuda? So, if I turn on Optix/RTX, does that mean I can still use Cuda (on the other card?)

1 Like

Hi, please take another look to the benchmark in my post, the RTX cards are so much faster it makes no sense to keep the GTX cards.
Iirc the 3070 is 8 times faster in the Octane bench, even a RTX 2060 is faster than a 1080Ti.
Cycles Optix is not Ocane RTX but the are getting closer.
I had no time to search for more benchmarks but I guess there are many.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Ah I totally didn’t understand that you were making a new build.

Yes - the 3070 Ti will be much faster as @mib2berlin stated. You CAN use the 1080Ti to help rendering in RTX mode (albeit not with the same acceleration). You may find it works better just to use it to drive your display.

If you can find any 30 series card at retail grab it as fast as you can. Rumors say they won’t be readily available in store till 2022. All the 30 series will be vastly better than your 1080 1070. A 2070 super is same render time as 1080+1070. 3070 render time is 2x 2070 super.

1 Like