Blender and the Operating System you run it on.

Vanilla Ubuntu with the UbuntuStudio theme. I also occasionally use it under 2K on the same box.

I like Ubuntu much more save for a few key conflicts (must try UbuntuStudio sometime…)

I use it on Linux (Fedora 7) because it is easier to re-compile to take advantage of my CPU features: SSE instructions, …

any body try colinux or andlinux. Both won’t work.

I use Blender 2.4 on ubuntu 'cause it runs so slowly on Vista. Also all the FN keys work. Will there be an optimized version for vista when 2.45 comes out?

as far as i know, the problem is that vista is a huge resorce hog

Here’s my OS story so far:

I HATE WINDOWS and will do just about anything to stay off of it. I’ve been learning the fundamental concepts behind linux/unix/etc, which has been very helpful, especially when it comes to understanding the file system and package management (or having to deal with those .tar.gz’s :slight_smile: ) Windows, on the other hand, has had me wading through a swamp for the last decade or 2. Time to get out of it.

I’m currently running Ubuntu, going back and forth between i386 and x86-64. I’m in 64-bit right now, and noticed something in the console:

The following warning messages come from the Blender coders. The Debian
maintainers would like to point to the following file for rationales:
/usr/share/doc/blender/NEWS.Debian.gz

64 bits compiles will give incorrectly saved .blend files. Do not use it.

*** If you continue to run this executable, you really are quite stupid ***

Is this true? If so, at the moment the 32/64 question would be a moot point, and we should all be using 32. but there are several people who voted linux 64 as their primary OS that they use blender in. I checked out the text file and it said to wait for version 2.44 Does anybody know more about this?

And besides that, any info on other distros would be helpfull, too…

-dma88

dma88,
Dont use the 64-Bit Blender from within the Ubuntu package manager, it has issues. Use the latest 64-bit version from the Blender site. The issues have been fixed in that versions.
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender-64-bits/

cool, thanks for clearing that up
maybe the ubuntu crew will take notice too…

-dma88.

Would’ve liked to see the 32/64 split for Windows, too.