Blender Artists supports our friends in Ukraine

Peace for Ukraine peapole from Paris :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe that it even possible with our countriesā€¦ I have friends in Kiev and I worry about them. This should not be happenā€¦ Iā€™m getting mad because I canā€™t stop thisā€¦

5 Likes

For some people, especially trolls, that might be all it takes. The cold war never ended for some people, and all two of Equilibriumā€™s posts this year have been to accuse someone of being a Russian propagandist. Been about four years since their last post before that, so I wouldnā€™t take them seriously, especially since your post history shows you are a regular contributing member to the BA community.

I donā€™t see any ā€œRussian propagandaā€ there, mostly geonode talk and helping people in the support section.

EDIT: The only reason Iā€™m commenting on your post history is to drive home the point there isnā€™t ā€œRussian propagandaā€ so no one should take those accusations seriously.

4 Likes

Peace for the Ukrainian people!! from Italy

3 Likes

I will not pick sides, but I feel for people how are on the sidelines.
May God keep yaā€™ll safe and may the righteous triumph in this war.

3 Likes

Nanoglyph Lee - Come now to Ukraine and see for yourself. Especially in Kharkiv

1 Like

MB to block russia on all blender sites, as many companies in the world do?
Blender3d can be used for propaganda, the same Kremlin cartoons with flying rockets and can simply be used for other pro-kremlin purposes.
Huge companies that support blender fundations stop working with russia, let blender do that too (i am from Ukraine)

And also, russia is blocked from the whole world, and inflation is also there, so only the government has enough money to pay to 3D artists

I do not believe the GPL was written with any clauses regarding the possibility of World War 3. Even if the BF managed to lock out those living in Russia, Blender builds can be posted anywhere.

Besides that, there are a lot of Russians who oppose the war, there is even evidence of a lot of young conscripts on the ground in Ukraine who really do not want to fight their leaderā€™s war. The fact that Russia is seeing large-scale protests (in spite of the severe punishment for doing such) is a huge deal from a historical perspective.

3 Likes

How many thousand people were at those actions, the population of Moscow is 20 million, which means less than 0.00 ā€¦ 1% idk. In this moment number died of people much more then there come to protest

1 Like

Reallyā€¦ I can tell how this situation isnā€™t that simple as many mass-media and many people are telling. All sides there arenā€™t right, there was story developing for many years already. Thereā€™s huge information war happening right now everywhere, which is misinformation. Thereā€™s only one way to confront information war - if one doesnā€™t know something with certainty, one shouldnā€™t repost / retweet information found online or in any kind of mass-media. Even being a witness doesnā€™t always mean that info is truth - provocations are made now by everyone and you can never know how situation you see actually started.
That being said, Iā€™d really advise to close this thread for comments and leave it for reacting with flag and support only, as per first message

Peace to everyone and Stay safe

3 Likes

I donā€™t see the point in hurting Russian artists just to get back at the Russian government. Russian artists I see online by and large tend to be critical of the Russian government the vast majority of the time, whereas the Russians making propaganda ā€œartā€ are mostly making shitty memes on Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook.

And I realize thatā€™s how sanctions work: you hurt the common people of the country badly enough it hurts the government. But Blender simply isnā€™t enough of an economic powerhouse to have an impact. You canā€™t cut them off from the GPL software, only the community. How does that help?

Remember, even if you cut off the artists from the Blender community, anyone who wants the software likely already has it and itā€™s not SaaS so it works offline, and anyone who wants to start using Blender could get a copy legally and easily thanks to GPL distribution. All youā€™d really be doing is getting rid of the Russians here who have voiced their support for Ukraine.

Itā€™s easy to insist other people need to be willing to risk death and imprisonment to fight the injustices perpetuated by their government, and that the many people who are doing so donā€™t count because itā€™s not everyone. Most people donā€™t join protests even when it is safe and legal to do so, but itā€™s even harder when the government treats it like treason and has a shitty corrupt justice system to boot. Most people didnā€™t protest for Civil Rights in the US (even when they agreed with it). Most people didnā€™t join resistance groups against the Nazis.

Most Russians in my experience donā€™t like or trust their government but feel powerless to fix things and just want to survive.

9 Likes

Aside from voicing support in the form of art, messages and sharing news which all are just thing to do there is one more thing everyone who wants to support Ukraine can do.

Ukraine Army have problems with logistics and provisioning. As of now they lack mostly ammunition and food rations (meals ready to eat - MREā€™s).
I highly doubt that many people here can provide munition, and there are many reasons for it.
But MREā€™s are widely available in most of the countries, they are legal to buy, they donā€™t cost much and you donā€™t need to worry about the right caliber.

If you want to support Ukraine - buy some MREā€™s and donate them to the organization that is sending supplies to Ukraine. Be sure the org have proven track record of delivering aid to war-torn territories.

It is equally important to double check the org so the support wonā€™t end up in the wrong hands.

2 Likes

Also, if you really want to help, you can donate to a militia to purchase munitions.

1 Like

Thnx Bart for this.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, Iā€™m going to lock this topic because I feel everything has been said, and itā€™s a struggle to keep it on-topic. Thanks for your support!

7 Likes