Blender as a media player?

I am currently VERY sleep deprived and my brain is making up weird ideas. One was that the increasingly efficient “real time rendering” in Eevee seems like it could end up making a .blend file effectively a video file. Load it, press play, Eevee plays the file as if it were a video! What kind of advancements would be needed to make Eevee play full movies made in Blender, cutting out the need to render actial video files? I assume mainly some scene loading feature that quickly loads new files to avoid using huge single file movies. This could open up a whole new way to watch movies, allowi g biewer onteraction with / comtrol over scene content! Christ I need sleep…

I’m pretty sure you’re describing a video game :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interactive as in changing camera angles and stuff, mostly. But yeah, a hybrid of walking simulator game and video cutscene, kinda?

There are plenty of “non-walking” games with “cinematic” cameras. For example, check out games by Quantic Dream or Telltale - they can almost definitely be described as “interactive movies”.

2 Likes

Exactly! Blender could probably run a file like that without any rendering or compilation needed!

I don’t think Blender has the sort of input system needed for proper interaction. Nor does it have a way to easily define “states” of objects, actors or scene.
As for rendering, it’s always needed, so is compilation. We have pretty limited real-time Workbench, and “almost real-time” (but as I understand, not really real-time) EEVEE.

Game engines on the other hand (including Blender Game Engine) are made exactly for this purpose.

1 Like