Blender at NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang keynote

Promoting RTX technology and new Servers, at his Keynote, NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang pronounces these words:

“The three top rendering packages in the world : Autosdesk , Chaos Group Vray and Blender…”

the video is at the minute where he talks about it:

11 Likes

He’s da man! :sunglasses:

1 Like

how did we missed this
still waiting Eevee + RTX

EEVEE + RTX may retire classic rendering engines. :joy:

:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

I’m perfectly fine with EEVEE and plan on rendering my animations with it. But is anyone even working on a Vulcan port for Blender, lol?
Seriously though OpenCL users had to raise hell to get a fix for the Cycles slowdown, and the fix was to bring it back up to beta 2.8 speed.

Pretty sure I heard AMD fronted money for Vulcan developers…
Or is it just tweets like, “we would love to work Vulcan into Blender”?
I would love a Billion dollars :slight_smile:

Just my friendly opinion here, I have a feeling BF is going all in with Nividia and Optix, which is perfectly fine, but if you want to render with GPU’s in the future you’ll just have to sale a kidney or two. :stuck_out_tongue:
OpenCL will be dropped eventually, with just a small percentage of user needing it, and only one card manufacture utilizing that language. :wink:

And don’t get me wrong here: Nividia is fast… fast as shizzz, and it’s a smart move coding just for optix. I just hope when I finally make the move to PC/Nividia that EEVEE will be coded for Vulcan… and have native motion Blur :slight_smile:

Vulkan is planned, but somewhere in the future.

However, to have RTX extensions, Vulkan is not essential, OpenGL and extensions that NVIDIA has created specifically for RTX GPUs are fine.

If you take a look at the link I have attached you will notice that they use also SPIR-V and GLSL

Extensions have been added to both Vulkan and OpenGL to give developers access to these new features. The various Khronos Registries and Repositories have been updated to include the specifications and tools for the new extensions. The Vulkan and OpenGL extensions enumerated below provide developers access to these new features.
More details about the extensions below can be found at the official Khronos specification repositories:

2 Likes

Whahoooo…! This is a key step…

Really wishing that one day AI can auto correct world structures you make and overall design corrections. Currently my mind contains infinite worlds but it is hard to make them quickly and iterate rightfully to get it like i want.

If RTX becomes ubiquitous in a few generations and raytracing starts to appear in Radeon cards, then I could see Eevee and Cycles actually merge to an extent into a super engine with Eevee’s speed and Cycles’ realism.

Everything would be in realtime and you could even model and animate inside of the rendered view, we will be nearing the end of the era of steady evolution in terms of realism and performance (as we get within a few percentage points of perfectly matching the real world). The remaining advances will be even greater speed and more precision.

5 Likes

The road seems already created.
At some point the realtime ray tracing will be normal.
I also suspect that between eevee and cycles there will be more and more unification , either because the hardware will be so powerful as to allow cycles in realtime, or because many functionality of cycles will be implemented in eevee … we may have Cycleevees at some point. :grin:

Basically cycles and eevee it’s same, they use the same shaders for the 99% ,for me both have they purpose ,eevee it’s here to stay even if Ray tracing become mainstream ,eevee will be for super fast rendering

1 Like

To be honest, looking at the progress of the E-cycles experiments,
realtime rendering seems not so far …
:grin: :grin:

2 Likes

sorry guys,i still think it is presumptuous and quite unlike open source,to go with an overpriced gpu from one monopoly.that is a fact.i dont do monopolies so i guess its back to clay and pencils.
not all of us can afford 500 dollars and up for a video card.i have used blender since 2.20 or so,never had a video card issue,until now.8gb vram amd video card.it works right now but clearly it wont in the future.
unless i bow down and pay the ever growing monopoly that is invidia.this is clearly one way corporate nonsense.never thought i would see it here.i get the coding aspect,and speed.but you can’t just gloss over the corporate aspect of all this.i am not anti nvidia.but i am also not rich.

1 Like

you are just a pure amd fanboy nothing more nothing less

sigh!no not at all!im not here to start anything.i am expressing a viewpoint which is unfortunately not popular.
so sorry for having an honest opinion.i am actually a fanboy who uses run what you can afford.
basically this,when you have only one choice,there is no choice!=monopoly.
no big deal,it is the norm today.and i still dont get open source becoming only useful and streamlined.
using only one gpu code.again i am not here to argue or inflame.only to express an opinion.
if i could afford to plunk down car money on a gpu i would regardless of brand.i use modo with no issues.
i prefer blender.that is all!

1 Like

Apart from the fact that I dont see why you would have to post your rant in this thread, it is not like you have to use nvidia cards with Blender all of a sudden as a minimum requirement.
As a matter of fact you have options:

a) Save like 100 bucks on a AMD equivalent and than spend hours upon hours switching drivers and writing forum complaints about broken features when in reality AMDs driver quality is to blame.

b) The unthinkable: Just dont buy anything and render on your CPU.

Blender foundation is amongst the very few who even still support OpenCL rendering to this day.
There is no conspiracy or monopoly. Just a company that delivers stable GPGPU frameworks since at least 2010 and one that does not get it right even in 2020.

3 Likes

I haven’t had to do that at all, using an RX 470.

Yeah right …

i digress !

Don’t get me wrong there can be and are driver issues on amd side, but wrt blender and compute/rendering I haven’t had to do that. But I also don’t run the latest drivers.

Wait and see if issues crop up with a release, if not, or if nothing major for me then I upgrade to that version after a while.