Blender becomes very laggy while sculpting even though my polygon count is relatively low

Blender has become very laggy even though my poly count is 100,000 triangles. My PC should be easily able to run such polygon count as it has a:

• ryzen 5 1400 Quad core 3.2 ghz
  • 16 gb RAM
  • Geforce GTX 1070
    additional information related to this subject is that when sculpting with blender, only around 10% of my cpu is being used, 400 mb of memory and gpu usage can spike to 20% at times.
    I have tried looking in other forum threads for people having similar issues however I have found noting.

Are you using Blender 2.79 or 2.8? 2.8 still needs speed-up.

Hmm I don’t know I see these posts popping up here and there but me personaly I don’t have a problem.

I7 7800X (3,5 gHz 4.0 turbo)
32 GB ram
GTX 1050ti

I use Blender 2.8 and right now my sculpt has 530k tris and sculpting is fast and smooth. Worth noting I have disabled wireframe over mesh. With enabled wireframe it is laggy.

T.

PS: reply should have been to OP sry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

On both 2.79 and 2.8 the performance is very similar.

Ok. Over here I can clearly notice 2.8 being slower generally.

Do you have anything running in the background that would slow down your system?
How often does this happen? All the time? Once in a while?
Drivers up to date?
PC getting too hot?
Power supply large enough?

Your hardware should handle what you are doing easily.

-usually 30% of my memory is already used by apps running in the background and google chrome
-This happens all the time
-My drivers are up to date
-My temps should be fine because the processing power used as already stated is quite low
-And my powersupply is more than enough for my system

UPDATE:
I increased the fan speed on my computer and is able to handle half a million triangles with minimum lag, Next ill update my system BIOS and hopefully further help the situation.

Sounds like something(you didn’t specify so could be either cpu or gpu) was likely throttled then. So your previous assessment that temps were fine/not much processing power being used was likely wrong.