Blender-boot, linux for Blender fans - Official thread

Blender-boot is designed to be a dual boot Linux distro. It boots straight into a light enviroment with Blender already open. Its has Dropbox and UbuntuOne for saving your files to easily open in your main operating system. It has Blender 2.62, Gimp 2.74 (with single window mode), Guake terminal, Chromium browser and more. It is based on Ubuntu 11.10 for ease of use and the Software Center has been left in, for installing more applications if you want to. Its a distraction free resource light distro designed with Blender in mind and fast rendering, I hope you enjoy it. While in alpha Blender boot is 64bit only, sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Alpha 2 all known bugs fixed and improved look, Beta will take a fair bit longer and have many more changes.

SourceForge download http://sourceforge.net/projects/blenderboot/files/alpha2/blender-boot-1-suzanne-alpha2x64.iso/download

Would love feedback as its Blender fans im doing this for :smiley:

cool, I’ve thought of doing something similar, except without a DE, blender and its ghost should be enough,
wish we had a panel/window type for opening other windowed programs within, that would make for one awesome DCCW.

Thanks and the DE is basically there for texture work and file management etc, its only Xfce so its very minimal. I would love to get away with just using Blender like you described, just not possible yet…

What takes so much space? Ubuntu system, XFCE, Chromium, Blender, GIMP, etc. should only be about 400-600MB, but the ISO is 998MB.

@reC No that’s not the same that seems like someone who has copied my idea and put a lot less work into it, as I have been working on this since march 10th as you can see on the blog blenderboot.blogspot.com Very convenient that they come up with the idea just after my first Alpha all you have to do is look at my packages (very new Blender and gimp 2.74 etc) and the screenshots on SourceForge to see that nearly a months work has gone into this so far. I do not mean no one can copy my idea of course they can its up to them just upsets me they do it as im doing mine.

@dsavi Im not sure whats taking up so much space getting the .iso size down is what im working on now and it will be smaller by Beta and hopefully by the full version 1 release it will pretty small indeed :smiley:

Working on Beta right now will make the .iso smaller main goal as well as bug fixing of course.

Probably had the idea on their own. People have been building special distros for Blender for a long time. What you are doing sounds very cool, I like the approach you are taking.

@3dementia your right and I apologized to him I over reacted due to strong meds that’s all. Glad you like it and it will only get better :smiley:

Playing with the Live Boot now

Awesome! feedback would be great as im working on the Beta right now :smiley:
sorry if you run into any bugs but hey thats what alphas are for :smiley:
Might post a preview here tomorrow of how the beta is coming on.

Hi PaperJon,

I just installed Blender Boot, but it didn’t set up a boot menu to choose between Windows and Blender Buntu.

I didn’t do much during the install; just let it have its way with my machine. Was there a step I missed to get this menu? The only thing I remember seeing is that one option about either keeping Windows or overwriting it, and I picked the side-by-side option.

@rontarrant The installation would have installed grub2 as a boot loader it should show 5 options and windows would be the last. what happens when you boot your pc and then I can get a better idea of the problem you are having.

Note that grub will show for a while then boot into Blender-boot as default this can be cahnged and there will be a tutorial on this soon.
Another thing is if you definitely see no grub when you boot hold down shift as you boot it will load grub and you will see the options there.

Also note may just be a black background with text, so may look like part of the normal boot up. It should and does on my test system have a Blender-boot background with white text.

Interesting; will have to give it a try. Not used Linux for years.

@Writer’s Block leave some feedback if you do if you havent used Linux for a few years you should be in for a nice suprise as its greatly improved :smiley:

Beta preview here http://blenderboot.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/blender-boot-1-suzanne-beta-preview.html

Its coming on great guy, hope the preview gets you excited for Beta release.

Is this a harddrive install only? I would be interested if there were an option for live boot from CD or even USB installs.

@Lancer You can boot this live from cd or usb(which is recommended as you ca add persistence to the USB to save your settings files etc) or you can install it alongside your main operating system. To create a USB with persistence in Windows use Linux Live USB from here http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ in Ubuntu use startup disk creator and in other operating sytems use similar software. I will be writing a tutorial about making Live USB with persistence soon.

edit update* changed link to UUI not YUMI…
try to make it compatible with this.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ companies like OCZ , point to this tool to help flash SSD "firmware", etc (using a linux live boot tool) Just so you can see a company using it.. and a little "how to guide"

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?99275-NEW!-Bootable-Linux-based-tools-for-OCZ-SSD-s

YUMI(for making multiple boot ISO USB) is cool too but not sure if it has persistence.

Thanks your right Universal USB installer is another great piece of software for making Linux live USB`s with persistence thanks for reminding me :smiley:

heh, probably wont install on my suse 10.0 distro…

but I like the idea. it’s creative and helpful. right now I’m useing winedoze and no not wine, sadly it’s incredibly hard and pricey to find a linux compatible laptop with specs good enough for the blender abuse I tend to put comps through.