Blender crashes unexpectedly, can not reopen until windows is restarted

This is so frustrating, it happens to me frequently. Happens randomly with no apparent or obvious input from me. sometimes crashes when clicking render, sometimes happens when going to the file browser sometimes happens when opening a project. Sometimes happens when subdividing.
I can go full days without it happening, then 5 times in a day.
Running latest Nvidia drivers, Studio drivers and regular drivers.

EVGA 3080 Ti
R9 5950x
32gb Ram
windows 10

I have all the versions from 2.93 - 3.4, as well as all K-cycles versions. After the initial crash none of the versions reopen. Restarting windows and killing crash handler does not solve the problem either. the only way to get blender to reopen is a system restart. I do have many addons, not sure if that is worth mentioning.

Any insight would be wonderful

1 Like

Hum ! obviously this can happen for many reasons…
Random bugs are the worse to track down …
It’s crashing with every files you’re working with or a few in particular ?

Blender generally saves a text in your temp folder when it crashes. What you’ll see there is probably going to be only of little help, but it’s worth checking , sometime a few keywords might put you on the right lead…

Also, you can try to run blender from the terminal and see if it prints something when it crashes…

Some addons are doing nasty things under the hood, it can be one of them !
You can try to restore blender to it’s defaults and work with that for a few days.

Only change a minimal amount of things, like right/left click, you can enable addons like node wrangler, or loop tools, but try to avoid all the non-official ones, and obviously try to use only the bare minimal…

From there two possibility :
1/ No crash, then try to enable a few of them to narrow down the one that cause the issue.
and slowly move on to restore everything but the one that cause the issue.

2/Still crashing : At least that option is eliminated, see if you can work with another graphic card for a few days. It can be informative to try working on another computer too :S

Good luck, it’s quite a pain to hunt down these issues, but blender is really stable in general, so something is definitely wrong somewhere !

I’d disable all unofficial addons (or all addons in general). Most likely the issue is one of your addons. The fun part will be tracking down which one. :laughing:

Also, check and make sure Blender is actually closing when it crashes. Some programs, when they appear to crash, are actually still running in the background, this can cause them to not reopen until the process is killed. Blender generally isn’t one of these programs but it’s always better to double check.

There’s a chance it’s hardware related, ie something is dying. The two most classic things are RAM and storage.

Start with RAM, Windows has a built in memory tester, just do a search for memory and run the tool. It’s not the greatest, but if that fails then pretty good chance RAM is toast. Can also give memtest86 a try, which since it boots of a USB, that will rule out any Windows/storage impacts on a RAM test.

For storage, windows has check disk, right click property option on a drive.

Also, core Windows file could be corrupted, so you can do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Basically, before pulling Blender apart, etc to try and find why it’s crashing, make sure your base hardware and Windows is in good condition first.

I have tried launching from terminal and from PowerShell, sometimes it spits out nothing, but one time it spat out a certain check for an addon which I promptly deleted. Its extremely painful as I’m one of those people with a slight addiction to addons, I think my list is well over 100 addons.

I will more diligently hunt this down and report back. Trying to use only official addons is a no go for me as there are like 20 addons heavily integrated in my workflow.

this is not a bad idea, I would be very surprised as all hardware is under a year old, but anything is possible at this point, its just a frustrating bug as its very intermittent and more often than not completely random.

thank you for this suggestion I will try that out today!

This option is the least desirable one. I’m not kidding when I say I have over 100, its definitely an addiction. the biggest problem is the frequency of the issue, happens completely randomly at completely random times, even days apart.

I use blender to make income, so its a pain in the booty.

Yeah I meant just the time to find the issue of course, if you have 100 addons, disable 10 of them for a start, work like this for a few days and if nothing appends then it’s very likely that the problem is within one of these ones. Then bring them back one by one to find the culprit.

Or at some point switch to the 10 next ones …

2 Likes

In many ways that’s when issues usually show up. I think it was after about 6 months, maybe a little less when I was starting to get the odd and random crash, etc.

Turned out my RAM was faulty, even tho it was new and from a well known brand.

Assuming correct installation and maintenance, IT gear is usually either DOA or dies in the first 12 months.

Once you get past that, if you look after it, most parts will then continue to just work for years.

Yeah, something like this. Or if you disable all of them at once and it still happens then you know it’s not addons. I just find it better to work by recursion lol. :rofl:

1 Like

holy crap , this started happening now today … i never had this before.

Now it just happens after every blender crash , i need to restart … i cant work like that anymore , becasue my scenes are huge a crash regulearly , imagine you have to restart the pc every 20 minutes lmao … cool that only blender does this though, my main program. :face_vomiting:

starting with clean profile doesnt work
closing all other progs doesnt work
maybe it could be becasue i installed cuda toolkit (but why would that be it , seems nonsense)

strangly after one version of blender crashes , i cannot open ANY version of blender after that , no matter if its 3.2 or 4.0 or 4.1 or any other version …

1 Like

Google led me here after experiencing this issue with a new install of 4.1. Not sure what crashed it but I checked the windows task manager for any stuck instance of blender still running with the intent of ending the process. With that all cleared, I launched blender… annnd nothing.

Instead of restarting the computer, I used a trick I learned with other 3d apps: restart the graphics driver using ctrl+shift+win+B

Blender started up after that.

Hopefully that works for anyone in the future looking for a quick solve.

Not all heroes wear capes. However I do not want ignore the fact this statement makes the assumption you don’t wear a cape. For all we know you very well do. We don’t know. Nore should we as we are mere humans and you are above us all. We bow to your might and glory capes be damned!

Legit thanks for posting this I still have 3 hairs left thanks to you.