Blender CUDA on AMD GPUs [ZLUDA by Vosen]

In this video you will see how to use CUDA cores for your AMD GPU (Graphics Cards Units) in Blender 4.0 by using Cycles render engine with CUDA technology developed by Vosen.

You can easily test and apply to different software like Blender ZLUDA Core that is CUDA core for AMD Graphics Cards:

You just need CMD and digit your commands:

• you need to unzip the zluda’s folder in a renamed folder (zluda)
  • you need to run zluda from your directory with cd (windows only)
  • you need to digit zluda plus exe and then the directory with software extension generally with exe single file
  • change Cycles render engine from CPU to GPU
  • apply and select CUDA instead of HIP
  • render and see the result

GPU Usage, Temperature and Termal Throttling

As you can see ZLUDA increase performance in particular for AMD Graphics Cards compare to HIP with little improvements

6 Likes

A few ZLUDA benchmarks have appeared on the Open Data website:

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX [ZLUDA] — 4815.82 (+ 881.23 points / + 22.39 %)
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX [HIP] -------- 3934.59

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT [ZLUDA] ----- 4015.46 (+ 550.02 points / + 15.87 %)
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT [HIP] ---------- 3465.44

AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT [ZLUDA] ----- 2672.26 (+ 72.63 points / + 02.79 %)
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT [HIP] ---------- 2599.63

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT [ZLUDA] ----- 2612.47 (+ 177.46 points / + 07.28 %)
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT [HIP] ---------- 2435.01

AMD Radeon PRO W6800 [ZLUDA] ---- 2041.2 (+ 67.66 points / + 03.42 %)
AMD Radeon PRO W6800 [HIP] --------- 1973.54

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I just find also this link that keep updating every time someone use Blender Launcher only with ZLUDA:

I tested in my pc Blender Benchmark that render three different 3D scenario with Radeon Vega VII (Ryzen 5 5500U) only with GPU:

• monster

• junkshop

• classroom

Radeon Vega VII (GPU only):

Radeon Vega VII [ZLUDA] - (GPU only):

3 Likes

Finally some results in open data

If someone would like to test Alpha version of ZLUDA, there are different releases from 3.1 to 3.5 from lshqqytiger, another developer from Vosen’s team.

I suggest using ZLUDA 3.5 version because fix some problems with modules, in particular for Windows, if you have Linux some of this version doesn’t work.

Some improvements, but it crashes one time, so I reset cache of benchmark

ZLUDA 3.5 Alpha results:

Tested in Blender too, pretty similar result as rendering time, probably the loading of all components and elements of render seems slightly better

Potentially some missing module, considering that it’s under testing, in my case I find useful GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs that fix hiprtc module not available.

If you notice problems in dll, check this GPU library website for AMD:

Missing file in my case hiprtc, added with GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs:

Error hiprtc fixed:

As first real render result, seems impressive compare to initial result: 3 minutes and 20 seconds:

Rendering results from youtube video:
ZLUDA V3.0 (Stable version - official release) : 4 minutes
HIP (GPU only) : 4 minutes and 38 seconds
ZLUDA V3.5 (Alpha - not stable version) : 3 minutes and 20 seconds

1 Like

Since it’s all open source now I hope Blender hires Vosen and has him working on ZLUDA full time. It’s amazing how much better it is than HIP. With his genius he could probably help with so may other Blender tools and optimizations too.

2 Likes

I agree with you, considering that is the ZLUDA v3.0, it looks so good also with other 3D software

Zluda v3.5 BMW Test:

• Frames: 1225
  • Denoising: OpenImageDenoise (Albedo + Normal, Accurate)

Final Render Result:

• ZLUDA : 06.57.29
  • HIP : 09:24:87

1 Like

did they fix the error “Failed to configure CUDA context (Invalid context)”?

1 Like

Did you use HIP or HIP RT for your test? CUDA appears to be using a lot more RAM?

1 Like

I test the today’s version, but the problem still persist in Blender 4.2 Alpha, also in Blender 4.1 Beta. In Blender 4.0 it works fine.

1 Like

I tested only with HIP, because it isn’t supported in my case, if you try with HIP RT it should improve. As RAM usage ZLUDA usage is higher, but depends of the scene that you render, in this case it’s 100MB (0,1 more) in some part of the render, but in this case is similar. I notice more RAM usage in high dense scene like world or big scenario.

1 Like

I see. Last time I tried HIP RT, the ram consumption was drastically higher than regular HIP. I would say, to the point that on my regular projects, the feature became practically unusable. The speed improvement was certainly not worth the cost. Not sure if this is still being worked on for “proper release” or if that is how it is supposed to be.

I check online seems there are some problems also with artifacts when rendering on blender project, around 2/3 months ago with HIP RT, probably it needs to be improved with better implementation with HIP development

1 Like

Anyone can test 6950XT HIP vs ZLUDA performance? With and without RT if possible.

Also @Gioxyer Ryzen 5 5500U does not have Vega II (second gen Vega) gpu it has Vega 7 which is still plain Vega (first gen). Adding this so people will not get confused.

1 Like

Hi, I would like to know which part is not very clear, you mean the part marked vega vii?

For the first question, on youtube there are some test comparison with 7900 XTX and 7900 XT with ZLUDA and HIP-RT, you can see some issue at the moment.

7900 XTX Comparison:

7900 XT Comparison:

Radeon VII (also known as Vega II, or second generation Vega) is a desktop GPU not a mobile/laptop one. It’s basically a modified server/compute Radeon Instinct MI50.

What you have in your laptop is Radeon Vega 7 which is first generation Vega - completely unrelated to Radeon VII. https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-7-Graphics-Card-Benchmarks-and-Specs.450004.0.html

Seems to be a warning text was added to 11.6 and newer versions of the installed CUDA documentation:

It changes nothing in China or EU.

Up to my knowledge, reverse-engineering is possible in Europe if you need it to achieve inter-interoperability and that the maker of the software or the hardware refuse to do it.

I wonder how long it will be until some antitrust (like EU) will slap Nvidia so hard they wished it was only allowing translation layers.