Blender Cycles, rather than rendering a PNG as transparent, renders it with a black background

Hi, I am working on a render for the Minecraft Wiki. MCW has strict guidelines about what kind of images can be used for the isometric screenshots, including that they have to be PNGs.

I am trying to render an isometric image of a mob from Minecraft Dungeons (upcoming spinoff game) using a model with permission from the creator. I am attempting to render it with Cycles (which I am familiar with and thankfully the model creator used), and I followed all the steps to render it transparent that I know of. It seems fine when I am still rendering it, however the moment it finishes rendering the backdrop changes to black. I can’t just remove the background because the model has some areas shaded dark enough that removing the black backdrop removes some of the model as well. I am not sure what to do, and I feel like I’m probably making a simple mistake.

My model is at this link because I can’t upload files:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jb1n3jsplqukjyx/JungleAbomination.blend/file

Not much used compositing in blender before but It can work when you connect render layers’ alpha to fina composite node’s alpha.

1 Like

That worked! Thank you so much!

I would like to add one more suggestion if you want to keep the glow alpha.
You need to use add node and connect render layers’ alpha and glare output after multiplying.

1 Like

this settiling just literaly enables transparent background for your render

there is no need to seperate RGBA. You can just use a ‘Mix’ shader to add 2 colors together (in 1 node) without separeting their channels

The whole point of my post was that I enabled that setting and it didn’t work.

Okay, thanks! I might try that later.

I believe this comment is to @AwesomeNinja886 as he made the node setup with the file attached. I have added the alphas drawn with circle.