Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-07-09

https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-July/049504.html

2 Likes

Two of the bigger items look to be the Lightcache coming this week and the subsurf and multires modifiers being back in full in 2.8. I’m also hoping that eventually, Multires gets the redesign it desperately needs so people aren’t taking a risk by even adding it to the stack (it’s been at the point where the BF even dropped all mention of it in the features page).

I doubt they will fix it, just make it compatible 2.8.

Why would they bring it back at all if they aren’t going to fix it?

All it does is lure unsuspecting newcomers to the prospect of having a detailed sculpt before it crushes them with spike bugs and NaN geometry, after which it is never used again. This is why it’s no longer mentioned in the features page and only gets a brief reference in the manual.

Rip it out, and code a brand new one (perhaps with underlying functionality that essentially makes it a painter of UDIM-based vector displacement maps).

1 Like

Have you see somewhere it will be fixed?

Nope? So it will not.

It is mentioned in features page.

It does not have its own paragraph under Sculpting section but it is mentioned.

But seriously, this page is very bad. It gives absolutely no importance to Blender’s best modeling tools or basics.

Blender have a massive amount of select tools, many ways to focus your view on modeling part you are working on, dozens of Mesh modeling tools completed by dozens of other modeling tools provided addons.

Seriously mentioning these ones :

Edge slide, collapse and dissolve
Grid and Bridge fill

But no mention of basics like extrude, knife, smooth, separate, merge, remove doubles
By the way, there is nothing called Bridge Fill. It is Grid Fill and Bridge.

Talking about Ngon support is not sufficient, you have to mention Extend Vertices, Connect Vertices, Fill Holes.
Dissolve should be on same line.

you can perform many effects automatically that would otherwise be too tedious to do manually (such as subdivision surfaces)

This part of the sentence is completely wrong. There is a subdivide operator in edit mode.
And it is absolutely not tedious to use.
A correct sentence would be :

you can perform many effects automatically that would otherwise be too tedious to update manually (such as subdivision surfaces)

Nothing about Curves, Texts. OK, these tools did not have a major update since years. But they are basics and you need to inform people that they are present.

And there is absolutely no word about custom normals.

“Bringing back” does not mean it will be better. But this part “using OpenSubdiv for CPU evaluation to replace our custom CCGSubsurf code” may let space for hope.
But we just have to ask to sergey. He will frankly respond yes or no.

This is an overview, not a feature-matrix, OTOH you have a point.

Tools like remove-doubles can probably be left out, they’re basic operations that belong in a feature spreadsheet but not an introductory page.

Thanks, corrected,

1 Like

Blender 2.8 development is going realy well, but personaly, i still have some issues with outliner. 3 (three) toggles for object visibility, select selection nonsense, still no ability to select multiple objects rapidly (why exactly did we reject shift select again?). I know 2.8 is not finished and everything is subject to change, so i was just interested if there are any plans of outliner development?