Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-07-23

https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-July/049511.html

3 Likes

The Grease Pencil guy just chimed in with an update on his project (could not attend the meeting).

• Fixing preview Grease Pencil material problems. There was a multithread issue when use several previews at the same time. I did the investigation and ClĂ©ment fix the issues. Thanks ClĂ©ment!
  • New mirror modifier.
  • Working with Matias Mendiola in the design of Toolbar Icons.
  • Bug fixing.
  • Analyzing/design new features. It is still too early to reveal more.

As for things being behind schedule, to not delay anything is actually pretty rare for most development teams (unless you have some truly blockbuster programmers like the guys who work on Houdini). An alpha 2 might suffice, unless they decide to narrow the target list for the first 2.8 release for the purpose of getting it to users as soon as possible.

There is a weird thing in Grease Pencil branch.
When a Grease Pencil object is active object in Object mode, annotation tool is not working and Topbar is displaying characteristics of first layer of GP object instead of the ones of active note.

And also, UI for grease pencil is same as 2.79 one in all editors that are not 3DView.
In other words, for the moment, annotations are just for 3DView. Everywhere else an attempt will crash the build.
But whole Grease Pencil Object side of the branch seems to be ready and respect very well current 2.8 UI .

IMO, only annotations issues could prevent a merge before siggraph. Anyways, if merge does not happen in time, they would probably provide a fresh grease pencil build.

I don’t see a general discussion post for 2.8 so please forgive my comment if it’s too off topic, but after seeing BlenderDiplom’s latest video about the shortcuts and hotkeys and UI updates, I just wanted to say you guys are doing such a great job. I’m so proud of this development community and community in general.

You listened to the issues people had with the other UI ideas (Tab is so integral I’m sure you all got a lot of flack, probably deserved, but I can only imagine your inboxes after that suggestion). You are so in tune with what the community wants.

I popped in to the developer meetings before (a long time ago) and I really love how you listen to the community and take things and do things that we talk about. It’s so heartening how you guys do this and it is the purest spirit of the open source community imaginable. This software is so useful for everything from video editing to 3D rendering to mocap, it’s just unbelievable to me that it exists as a free piece of software and open source (and Free Software) at that.

Take it from just a regular user who isn’t very great at anything, you guys are doing an incredible job and I love this community even if I don’t participate that much with you all. Thank you all so much. Keep up the great work!

1 Like