Blender Edit Mode Performance

Downloaded LightWave trial version (I am not a LightWave user) and imported one of my 3D scanned models (1, 787, 994 faces) in both LightWave and Blender, and moved around some vertices in both softwares (with textures).

Blender

LightWave

Blender is a lot faster at editing :slight_smile:

Bonus stat:
LightWave was mush faster at importing the OBJ though, ~10 seconds into LightWave, ~41 seconds into Blender.

Maybe because Blender’s OBJ importer is not yet ported to C++?

6 Likes

Funny you mention the obj importer. Yes currently not ported but is aimed to be in 3.2.

Its in the pending section here: https://developer.blender.org/project/manage/138/

3 Likes

One reason to use LightWave until Blender 3.2 is out then :wink:

30 seconds for a 1 time import is that big a deal? Try dealing with 35 hour imports. :rofl: Blender gets slower the more objects it imports and when you import over 660,000, instanced or not, it takes forever.

If you download tonight’s buildbot build, it will already be there if you turn on developer extras in the preference window (it is experimental).

Now if you don’t have a Lightwave license already, I seriously hope you are not considering a 1K purchase just for the .obj exporter (that is unless you have so much cash lying around you don’t know what to do with it, but most won’t have that).

1 Like

Wasn’t that the exporter that got put back into experimental because of regressions? I didn’t see the importer making it in yet.

here someone tested 3ds max VS blender Blender Edit Mode Performance - #476 by Amiminoru - then 3ds max show very fast viewport and blender - very slow.
Interesting if now someone who have 3ds max now - can compare current version of Blender with current 3ds max

Oh, I only bring it up because Stefan Werner on Twitter mentioned running a profiler on it. So I assume he’s done that (opened the file in Blender).

:rofl: nah, I’m not insane.

2 Likes

By the way, the new versions of Maya and Max are out. Unfortunately, their R&D is still a long way from the level needed to bring a standing ovation from users and get them to actually laugh at Blender again (because Blender would no longer be comparable, just like in the pre 2.5 days).

The company also had the idea of changing the app. logos to be even more corporate and bland than they are now, which ended up taking a bit of attention from the actual releases (before anyone asks, the logo changes are real and is not an April Fool’s joke).

1 Like

@bnzs I compared all major DCCs as far as raw mesh editing performance goes. Max is faster than any of the others, while Blender 3, Maya, Houdini, and C4D are more or less on par. Some things faster, some things slower depending on the selection set size in each app, etcetera.

Much slower are both Modo and LightWave Modeler. LightWave is comparable to the old Blender before 2.93/R3. Very slow performance. Modo is not much ahead.

Blender’s sculpt mode and masking allows for as fast or faster transforms of large polysets and high density meshes compared to 3DS Max. (There is however a strange bug in that the first transform is really smooth in sculpt mode, and subsequent ones are not until the mask is inverted twice and the performance is great again - really odd.)

But a lot hinges on what exactly the user is doing in each DCC. Overall I’d say Blender doesn’t need to hide anymore from the DCC crowd in terms of mesh editing performance. But Max still tops all of them.

2 Likes

I don’t care much about the icon. I checked the Max update and it was decent. At least they seems listening what users are asking and providing polished features instead of throwing half-baked features and abandoning. But, I agree that Maya seems clearly dying.

Yes, I agree the new logo is bland and have a very generic “corporate” feel to it now, I think it reveals clearly that Autodesk’s products don’t have a soul, it’s just all business.

I also noticed that Maya is trying to copy Blender completely now…
(Blender to the left, Maya 2023 to the right)

Compare

Maya has added the annotate tool (same place in the UI and similar icon compared to Blender), it’s nowhere as advanced as Blender’s 2D tools (yet), but you can draw lines and keyframe them to do basic 2D animations.

I wonder if it’s a coincidence, or if it has to do anything with the fact that the developers of Modo is old LightWave developers? The softwares may share similar code under the hood.

1 Like

HAVE YOU DONE TESTS AGAINST 3D COAT? They could do some tests since they always make comparisons with the same opponents

1 Like

It’s not like the last decade of logos were any good.

I mean, this one is actually great and timeless… :stuck_out_tongue:

Here...

C4D_Logo

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, that logo is one of the best.

Side note:
Cinema 4D also updated thier UI in R25 to a more modern style, with some parts inspired by Blender’s UI by the look of it.

Seems like all 3D softwares have Blender as a source of inspiration nowadays in some way or another.

1 Like

Makes sense, think of how many people get started with blender. making a smooth transition from what you cut your teeth on is just good business sense

i would think that they’re mostly revamping it to have a more clean and modern look, it just happened that blender did it first imo, don’t forget that the ui team were inspired by other softwares and new standards

2 Likes

Maya have had Grease pencil(Now updated Blue Pencil) since 2013…

4 Likes