Blender Edit Mode Performance

Do you mean general scene navigation, edit mode speed, pose mode animation…?

Mm… Had a feeling that it might have been something like that. :slight_smile: Good to hear it’s back like that at least…
Still, we need to be patient, a big project like blender has a lot of code, and I suspect that they need time to track down the performance issues. :slight_smile: They’ve brought us this far, and it’s looking good. It’ll be better in time. :slight_smile: It’s still a brilliant software that anyone is able to download for free. And that in itself is amazing.
Even though Blender Foundation is not a million dollar corporation, they still eat more and more into their territory, and given enough time and support from users it might be on par with, or even overtake them… If there are issues, send them in with specific examples so the programmers have actual stuff to compare and try to figure out the differences and the reasons for those. Whining about it in the forums is not going to do much in the first place. The developers forum and the chat where the developers frequently are is probably a good idea. But it needs to be something more than: ‘It’s slower, it sucks.’ That doesn’t help. :slight_smile: The more specific, the better.

I think there were some issues with ngons and subdiv modifiers. That aside, this seems to work fine for me on my not to beefy 13 inch macbook -

cyl2

Whatever your specs are, there shouldn’t be that big of a difference between maya and blender, not sure what’s going on there.

@angus have you submitted bug reports?

https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/

I do not expect any huge performance boost in RC1 since 2.79 is also slow - but it would be nice have same performance in edit mode like in 2.79. Right now is 2.79 clearly faster in editing of 300 000 tris object…
Most problematic for me is - When I hide part of the object - performance is still same…
I need split model to more parts which I edit separately, then everything put back together…and this is really annoying…
But when I turn off autosmooth and set model flat that slightly improve my performance.
I run on stock i7 8700

7 Likes

You are not alone. There is big chunk of community waiting for that specific thing to be fixed.

5 Likes

So as of 2.8 RC we have 2.79 editing performance but nothing more.

I kind of thought it was a lot of unnecessary complaining. Which there is always a lot of when there is a huge change like 2.8. But I have to agree that editing performance is pretty poor. I know the developers did a poll and I think the majority of the people that responded wanted performance increases on large scenes and high poly objects so hopefully this really will be improved.

If this mail from Ton is any indication, the funding the BF is getting now is indicating that they need to step things up in terms of overall quality for Blender’s development and the Blender app.

As a result, we should soon see a large number of areas within Blender being worked on at once (which hopefully includes performance).

2 Likes

I saw that. I don’t doubt that they want to improve it. It’s probably a monumental task. A year ago I was under the impression that the new depsgraph was going to improve things but I guess I was wrong.
They also have to deal with people that constantly expect new features. It’s a lot more exciting to most people to read about “A B and C new features!!” than “Won’t slow down to a crawl anymore!!”

1 Like

Did someone tried the Nvidia Creators Drivers and how / if they impact performance? Would be interested if there is some gain.

For such a long time blenders bad viewport performance Is a dealbreaker handling bigger scenes. I got a lot of hope b28 will change this but it still forces me to keep up using 3d max. Slowly i give up hope. There was so much focus on shortcut changes, changing names, hiding stuff inside deep menus just for a „clear“ ui and so on…
So much fancy new stuff but completly useless with a frozen viewport.
Now in b28 editmode seems to be even slower than before, kind of a Bad Joke. The whole b27 interface felt s lot snappier than b28:(
If there would be one thing i would pay for, its a focus on developing better viewportperformance. Cycles got boosted by mathieu. Now we need the viewport focussed and make it fit the 21 Century

6 Likes

When the new depsgraph came in, it was technically a bit more powerful than the old one, but it was relatively unoptimized.

The d.b.o task has a list of the reasons for the performance issues and their likely solutions, just that the devs. will need a bit of time for their proper implementation.

In blender today Ton seem to point out that the performance issue could take quite a bit of time to fix! I hope i interpret him wrong.

I would prefer they put all the effort on performance instead of new features!

5 Likes

My current work around is to separate all my heavy mesh in parts and reassemble them after which is counter productive to say the least!

Adsk 3Ds viewport overhaul „nitrous“ took almost 8 years. 2009 was the last version with the old viewport supporting quadro Performance driver. 2018 was the first version using nitrous which worked for me flawless without glitches and was on par with the old one… :grimacing:

Let’s hope it’s not going to take 8 years! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It would be actually nice to have more performant edit mode than anything else.

5 Likes

For my scene of 150k faces, edit performance is down from perhaps 15fps in 2.79b, to 2fps in 2.8rc2, so it’s quite impossible to edit. Viewport performance itself is ball-bearing smooth.

Further, cycles render time of the same was increased by a factor of 8 in 2.8rc2, but that’s probably for a different thread.

My setup has 32gb ram, 6-core 3.4GHz and a 1080 Ti card.

5 Likes