Blender Edit Mode Performance

Maya it’s fully optimized program in every part of software ,blender need to step up in this regard and the good news is blender foundation moving in to this direction ,blender 2.81 it’s very good start overall

1 Like

hahaha, nice joke

4 Likes

I can’t replicate such performance flaws here.
But I have performances flaws when comparing Blender 2.81 (september 28 build) with Blender 2.8 with a rigged character.

Blender 2.8: Solid 60 fps, LookDev: 22 fps
Blender 2.81: Solid: 44 fps, MaterialPreview: 18 fps

Plus shading bug in Blender 2.81, some objects are transparent:

1 Like

this is a bug, report it indicating your video card and your hardware (blender does it automatically reporting the bug via help -> report to bug), in any case it seems to me a problem already known that they have solved, updates your gpu drivers to see if it resolves.

Updating drivers did not fix it. I have a common nvidia 1080 card. However i’d rather wait a moment before reporting bugs, 2.81 is still WIP, important changes were made in the openGL functions. They’re certainly working on it.

It’s not a joke it’s a reality ,Maya handle way much polygons in edit mode ,Maya animation playback it’s far far faster than blenders
There is a lot optimizations in Maya to handle all of this complex situations,
The problem is the majority of blender users its hobist and they think if blender opens in 2 sec and Maya opens in 2 minutes Maya it’s way slower compared to blender but the truth is the opposite, unfortunately :pensive:

1 Like

I agree that Maya is better optimised to handle heavier workloads than Blender right now. However, over the years Maya has been also pretty notorious among its userbase for being buggy and crash often like on random occassions, so it’s a bit more complicated than just saying that Maya is fully optimised.

2 Likes

Now, now. That’s only a problem to those specific blender users, really.

I’d like to know the magic settings to make Maya fast with high polys because in my experience it chokes on models with 5+ million polygons(after the many hours it takes for Maya to import it) and view updates in the single digits on modern hardware. I can take the same things into Blender and it’s at least reasonable to use after a decimate modifier(not using edit mode).

1 Like

Maya is 10 years that has remained the same software.
Blender has been turned over like a sock, and you’ll see the differences between blender 2.80 and 2.81 … just 3 more months of work.

1 Like

news on performance on sculpt

This is the technique that I always hoped that they adopted a little everywhere in blender …
it’s the right path … I hope they go into it.

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1177352630710001664

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1177364075237597186

4 Likes

I suppose that if it were to be implemented, with the final version of the patch we will not see those annoying delays in updates when orbiting the view, right? I currently consider “Fast navigate” extremely annoying for Multires (I’m not even sure why this is still by default). In the same way those delays in updating would also be annoying for me.

1 Like

This is a prototype in an embryonic state that will surely be improved.
Having said that,in the editing phases, if I have to have performances to handle complex scenes, for me it is not a problem that this sort of “fast editing” mode can be activated …
I don’t know if I explained myself …

Performance is already an issue with Blender, so adding another performance eater to the program by default like you suggested makes no sense to me. ZBrush does the exact same thing with its SubDiv system and it doesn’t even give you the option to disable it.

As for the Twitter videos, I hope Pablo will be able to refine the tech so it can also take into account if a face is directed towards the user or not so it can hide anything on the backside. This would be quite cost effective and increase performance without having to zoom in on the model.

If you really believe that Maya it’s the same program in the last ten years then it must be worry you about blender itself ,how much behind Maya is ,
Iam talking clearly for the performance and not the features or the experience itself, which for me blender it’s the best

My it was more a conceptual metaphor to show that the Maya elephant slowly moves to try to maintain a certain stability … it works in the long run, but you can’t really change its system.
Blender had 4 revolutions. in its twenty years.
It is its nature, and it grows, grows, grows, the community and himself, it’s all exponential. Initially very slow, but then, everything grows doubling.

First chaos, then little cleaning and opening source code (2.04), then again chaos adding features (2.4) then again revolutionary medium cleaning (2.5) then chaos up to the revolution of total maturation (2.8) … now the first period of polishing and search for performance and stability is in progress … halving the time for the goal.

P.S. I started using these toys from 3D studio for dos, lightwave, Softimage (before XSI arrived) and many are like me here.
stop with this story of the amateur.
We’re just getting rid of chains.

1 Like

Hi! What could cause a 4 FPS playback even with every single object hidden? Zero vertices visible. There’s nothing on the screen except the 3D cursor.

If I start a new project it plays fine at 24 fps and things behave normal. It wasn’t like this last week. What have I done that triggers this?

I found out that 8 growing bézier curves causes the 4 FPS playback. I guess it’s recalculating all the meshes even when they’re not yet visible nor changing.
debug-slow.blend (188.4 KB)

If this is not related to the Viewport maybe it should be moved to a new question?

Update: no bugs, just inexperience :slight_smile: I reduced Resolution Preview U to 10 and problem solved. Sorry for the noise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which meshes are not visible? I can see that all Your meshes are enabled at frame 0.

Yeap, curves in playback are calculated everyframe and not cached even if they are not changing. But that is feature request and not a bug.