Blender error on start up and critical error failure

I receive this ‘error’ when I start Blender v 2.3, although I can still use Blender, but if I close this DOS box Blender closes.

‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
sys_int:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.

Also it seems certain key strokes also bug/error Blender out and it closes.

Any ideas?

I’m using WinXP Pro. I’ve tried loading Blender 2.3 (from the CD in the book) and also loaded Blender (latest version) from the website. The latest Blender version also gives me a start up error different than attached, but an error none the less.

Thanks,

----This box is the console from which blender starts. On Windows you will always see this console, in fact it is a 'monitor`to watch a certain error should some operatiion within blender fails. You will get the ‘check console for errors’ message; and that is where console comes in handy.

‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback

-----Blender uses Python stuff. As long as you don’t have any python interpreter on your system Blender will boot its own. But first it begins to search one external. If it does not find it shows that message. However this does not prevent Blender to work, so in the end it says “continuing happily”.

Also it seems certain key strokes also bug/error Blender out and it closes.

-----Which ones, for instance? (just asking).

As long as you don’t have any python interpreter on your system Blender will boot its own. But first it begins to search one external. If it does not find it shows that message.

Hmm, that’s interesting because I do have Python installed.

As for the key strokes, I was working on something and I wanted to cycle through the different screen layouts (CNTRL|Right Arrow key) and that’s when the critical error happened and the program closed.

Thanks for the feedback.

For the python-issue, be sure to set PYTHONPATH too (in your environment variables)

As described in the User guide (Scroll down a bit to get to your part ^^)

If that doesn’t help, or if you have done so already. Then it might be that your version of Blender doesn’t coop with your version of Python. I’ve had some trouble with that too, for instance, 2.37 doesn’t seem to work with Python 2.4, and Blender 2.4a doesn’t seem to work well with Python 2.3.
Could be I’m the only one having had troubles with this though, not sure.

Good luck!

Correct, blender 2.40 will work with [only] python 2.4x, and blender 2.37a [all of the 2.3x releases] work with python 2.3x

there were people that suggested 2.40 might be available using python 2.3 [probably not for windows though], but I would wait until we are closer to the release.

I suspected that versions of Python might not be compatible w/ Blender.

BTW here’s another keystroke error. I simply tried to toggle Blender to full screen, and after a few seconds I get this:

blender.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I tried it three more times just to make sure and it froze/closed every time. sigh.

If you’re using my hacked fullscreen blender (or one that someone else has hacked) then you should have seen the disclaimer:

If pressing the fullscreen button makes bad things happen, then don’t press it anymore!

Fullscreen on Win32 is buggy at best. Hence the reason it was removed from the official releases.

1. I’m not using a hacked version. I’ve used 2.3 from the Blender book and download from the site.

If pressing the fullscreen button makes bad things happen, then don’t press it anymore!

So, how do I know which buttons I can/cannot press Einstein?

Are you using the Blender “Fullscreen” button or the Windoze “Maximize” button (or is there some other nefarious trick I don’t know about) ?

%<

No, I’m using the Blender Fullscreen button. Everytime I try a new key combo now I’m hesitant that it’ll close on me as I go through variou tuts. sigh.
My system is squeeky clean as I usually clean it up before I install anything significant.

I take it I’m ‘special’ and this is not the norm?

BTW thanks for the links page. Whew lots of reading to do this weekend.

Yep, not the norm. I can’t remember when last it crashed on me and I use every branched build I can get to download, and I’m constantly getting problem .blends from others to look at solving problems.

One thing though, if you’re using the official build, where exactly is this Fullscreen button?

%<

Can I attach a screen shot? It’s in the very upper right hand corner and slightly covering some written text; Mem:2.27 I cant make out the rest as the button covers it up.

Vitumen won’t get you very far here in these forums.

quoth Duoas:

I don’t honestly care what version you are using. (I misread earlier and thought you were using 2.37something, so I thought you were using one of our hacked versions.) For about half the people who use Blender, that fullscreen button does not work and will never work.

If you want to keep pressing it, go ahead. But don’t throw your snot at me when I tell you it’s broken.

The button you’re talkiing about is the fullscreen button. It makes the titlebar (the blue bar with the minimize, maximize and close buttons) go away, and makes the start menu disappear. Buggy video card drivers caused problems with it, so it was removed from official releases a couple of versions after the one you’re using.

The button works on some people’s systems, and some people like what it does, so Duoas made an unofficial version with fullscreen functionality. Sounds like it doesn’t on yours, so remember not to press it, or upgrade to a new version – they’re much, much nicer. There are a few more fixes in newer versions, so they play more nicely with buggy drivers.

Matt

Yeah, I did some more searching and the culprit was the ATI driver. So, Blender is nice and speedy now-so far-and hasn’t crashed on me-so far.

Thanks all.