Blender for the blind

hello,
Here is a new painting in relief for the blind people. “The mousetrap” Gerrit Dou (1613 - 1675). Museum Fabre, Montpellier, France.
The back shall be made with a cnc machine. The characters and objects with a 3D printer.
See my website with almost all the projects I made as volunteer ot the Valentin Hauy association for the blind. For the moment 53 paintings have been made and placed in 10 museum in France and Belgium. For the moment at the museum of Ardenne and museum Rimbaud at Charleville-Mézières (France) of 12 of my reliefs till the 18 september 2018. Everything is Blender only made.
http://www.invisibleart.eu/
Comments?

29 Likes

It’s great to see some classic art in 3D

Classic painting of the XVIIth century is insteresting for the blind, because it’s sometimes telling a story. The symbolism of the mousetrap is very cool for the boys!!!

Here, in french
https://artifexinopere.com/?p=5162

1 Like

This is a really cool idea. You did a great job with the modeling.

1 Like

Very cool idea. Will you be adding the fuzziness/paint texture to these classic artworks? For instance a pointillist painting would feel very different than a classic fresco.

Why white only? Because blind people and deep visually impaired persons do not see the colors. And when I’m making characters come outside the painting, It would be impossible to paint the rear part because the paintir did’nt! Some trials have been done, but the result is seedy. At Charleville, a painting reproduction is provided to the people who want to put their eyes as close as they want. This is the good way.
Here are photos of the exhibition.
L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux
The title of the exhibition comes from a sentence of Saint Exupery “the little prince”.

Thanks for sharing this, it gives me motivation.

Great work and a noble project. You really capture the details in the original artwork.

1 Like

I love the purpose of this project, and you’ve made a great translation of a painting into a 3D model. #featured!

4 Likes

Dag Bart,

Indeed my work is different from the other works posted on the forum. I’m not working for images but ontly for 3d printing for the blind people.

The exhibition of Charleville-Mézières is a succees for all the visitors, visually impaired or not. The exhibition will travel in France and perhaps in Europe.

I should very pleaased if the Blender Foundation could be dealer of this project, only for presence and advertising for this uncredible open source software.

Can it be possible to get a panel with some explanantions of the Bleder project to place in the exhibition?

I repeat, everything has been made only with Blender. This is a deal with two universities, Reims and Troyes.

http://www.ardennes.com/charleville-mezieres/exposition-l-essentiel-est-invisible-pour-les-yeux/tabid/3751/offreid/cf55c643-29a6-436e-af81-6f71b15ec952

Bests regards

The difficulty in this work is to make printable objects for the 3d printer. The siez of thedetails cannot be to little.
The objects are intented to be touched by people and children. We need details but no fragility. The compromise is not easy to find. The blind persons has always a delicate touch.

Hi, this is very interesting to transform paintings into 3D scenes, very nice and well done.

offtopic: I visited Fabre museum when I was young (live near Montpellier), but the only thing I remember was the “horror” museum, or the anatomy conservatory (I think it was hosted in Fabre museum long time ago, and moved to medicine school). I don’t share the link here because it might hurt sensibilities but you can type “musée des horreurs montpellier” in google (story of medicine in Montpellier is quite old. For example, a famous french writer (Robert Merle) wrote about it in his “Fortune de France” saga if some people are interested).

I would prefer “Blend for the blind”
Nice and clean blendfriend

great work keep it up!!

Thank you. Of course I will keep it up!! I’m working as volunteer and my reward is when a blind is touching the relief and says “I see”. Another said me after a week “I have the images of the painting in my mind”.
I am myself visually impaired and it’s a miracle I can still make 3D models. I do’nt understand myself how i’m doing!!

2 Likes

Beautiful work!

Do you model it as a bas relief, or do you model it as a 3d scene and then compress it?

very very nice one that’s i like the colored image is it you who add the colors?

I’m using two different machines; 3D printer and CNC.
CNC for the background. The constraint is that I nave to model vertically. With de CNC it is impossible to make undercuts. I’m using sculpt mode or displace or both to get a textured model the increase the feeling sensation for the touching model. For the rest, the characters, the furniture, objects, I use the 3d printer. Because I subdivide about 6 times, when I’m exporting to STL (the machine does recognize only this format) I get giant files of sometimes 1.5 Go. Then we have to compress using the Materialise software “Magics”. The boolean operations are made with the STL files.

I never set colors, because the people are blind!!