Blender From the worst UI in the industry on the top of the Everest

I am not sure if you confuse the impact of UI and UX on how Blender pre w.8 was perceived.

Yes once you knew where in 2.79 stuff was you were able to work with it fast.
That’s the same with each other app.

Yes 2.8 looks much nicer now and the appeal of this is undeniable.

Where 2.8 however improved dramatically is in the are of UX not UI.

2.79 was still a mess - pre 2.5 even worse.

The chaos and organized cumbersome access to functions I would say was one of the biggest downsides do blender so far.

Andrew’s controversial UI proposal had a true point about the chaos.

And it seems 2.8 is on the best way to establish a new foundation to work with that really cleaned up with blenders old heritage.

Couldn’t floating windows be solved with an addon? I mean, there are already some sort of floating on 2.8. The new drivers workflow, for instance.

The issue with windows is very easily solved, at least from a design point of view, not withstanding the code necessary, by simply making all windows breakable and dock-able with tabs. It does not make any sense to restrict a workspace to one choice over the other when the tab solution gives you both built in.

If you don’t want windows floating everywhere, keep them docked. Times where users want this, they can.

Floating menus are also a great option. Having breakable sections is quite handy. This is something that Maya has right.

LightWave is a great example of how not to do it with some windows as the only option that they are floating.

In Blender there is no reason to have everything one way or the other. The trend with Blender is options. The current UI hard-coded decisions are a departure from that open-minded thinking.

3 Likes

I recommend getting two more monitors. Monitors are dirt cheap on ebay ( 30€ or so) and if you have four monitors you can have two for blender and the other two for image editing, references, web browsing or what ever else you need.

Not really. 30€ monitor will most likely be a problem if you need to work with colors. I love cheep hardware - I use a mouse that cost me 3.49 € because I can get away with that just fine, but monitors… It really becomes a problem at these prices. I think it makes senses to buy a 4K monitor if you are upgrading - it really makes a huge huge difference. And it needs to be big, other way 4K makes no sense because you don’t see it. A 43"(my eyesight is not perfect, so I find it to be the right size for me) or at least 32" monitor will cost around 400-500 €. It makes a difference. I would certainly not recommend to work with 3D or any kind of graphics with a 30€ monitor. I think 4K solves some problems discussed here as well. You can fit 4 times more stuff on the screen so there is no strong need to hide editors. Also need for a second monitor is not that strong with 4K so you do not need to have Blender windows in another monitor - that’s kind of great. If you have 2 huge 4K monitors I think it really makes sense to keep other stuff on the second one, like reference - it’s a long trip for the mouse after all :smiley: .

Ja, but I assume Zino G. has one or two monitors of adequat quality. Monitor 3 and 4 are only used to put Blender panels on and perhaps for watching cat videos while waiting for a render.
I have two good monitors and two which were cheap 10 years ago. It is a very cost efficient solution.

I would hesitate before recommending this. If it works for you, that’s great, but I see a lot of issues with this. This would really exaggerate the issue with Blender’s window management for one. It might be a factor lowering productivity significantly. Plus the color problems. Stands for monitors are also expensive. You may be able to get a monitor for 30€, but you might need to spend more if you want it above another monitor…

This recommendation is precisely for circumventing the problems with Blenders window managment. If you have lots of monitors you do not have to minimize Blender when swiching to Photoshop or cat videos. You have two monitors for Blender which you never or rarely minimize.
The other two monitors are for the other stuff.
You have no color problems because you render and composite on your good monitors and watch cat videos and have Blender panels on the bad monitors.
You can but don´t have to spend money on stands. I use a wooden box which I had lying around for example.

Now, if you are willing to spend a lot of money on a 4K Eizo or two then that is a solution too of course.

I agree that these days you should probably have at least one 4K screen if produce 4K videos. Otherwise previewing is obviously difficult.

^ Tiling window managers are an option too. Present natively on latest Windows, and 'nixes. MacOS?

^ Not an endorsement of single or multi monitor setups.