Blender Fur Issues

So, I’m trying to make a Teddy Ruxpin lookin’ character, and I’m really not happy with it. The fur looks far from natural, and the fur flat out doesnt appear in certain parts, like the side of the head. What should I do?

As I said early, I’m going for a teddy ruxpin sorta feel, so hopefully that’ll help clarify the type of fur I’m going for.

Hi :slight_smile:

Maybe sharing a .blend would be usefull to help you.
What does your children settings look like ?

Also, I feel like you have let by default the params for Cycles Hairs Settings :

(click to expand)
Root and Tip kinda define the diameter of hairs, at begining and ending. In you case that’s why it look like some big cones. Maybe try 0.05 and 0.02 as root and tip, and add more children

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

I took you suggestion, and it doesn’t seem to change much.

Also, here’s another example of the fur issue.

And here’s the .blend.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQHJr41MnvcSMYwdnGEKfha9XV-5eBoc/view?usp=sharing

Hi again,

A lot of things where quite messy :

Here is the result :

Here is the .blend

And then you can use particle edit, and give it the shape you want :slight_smile:

Tricotou

lol Sorry, I’m SUPER new to Blender. This is only my second model.

Anyways, thanks so much! Can I credit you for help with the fur?

Also, how does weight painting effect fur?

So in your Blender it appears nice and brown, but it mine it’s… Black? The only thing I changed was I shortened the fur and cleared it out of his eyes, mouth, and nose.

Ok, np.

Can you precise what do you mean by credit in this context ?

Basically, weight painting is just a way, after creating a vertex group, to set “weight” from 0. to 1. for each vertex. It can be done “by hand” in edit mode, or by “painting” in “weight painting” mode. In this last case, colors go from blue (0.) to red (1.). It can be used for a lot a differents purposes.

Here, in the “Vertex Group” tab of the Particles Params, I selected the painted vertex group to use it as a “dentity” param, in order to reduce density next to the eyes.
Screenshot%20from%202019-07-16%2014-24-11

Didn’t you set (again) a white world ? I guess it’s a matter of ambient lighting, lighting all the scene with still white background is rarely good for nice renders…

Also, I used 2.79.7, maybe you had some issues opening it with an older version, but I doubt that.

Tricotou

1 Like
  1. I mean crediting you on any renders or animations I make with this model for your help with the fur.

2. I only use the white void lighting for modeling sense I can see everything. I never use it for renders because I don’t like the result. So, I trurned the void to black and rendered it, and the fur is still black?