Blender Game Grass Test

Hi all! I guess this is kind of a coincidence (I had no idea when I made this that someone else had just posted a thread on grass), and I’m also not sure that this is in the right category (Moderators do what you like to it). It was just a quick test to see how well I could make grass in Blender by unwrapping a plane over the texture, then enabling ZTransparency to get rid of the black around the grass. The Sky and dirt textures are from CGTextures (http://cgtextures.com), and I made the grass texture. I’ll have to admit, I did a slight touch up at the end, darkening the dirt some since I wasn’t quite happy with the result. Hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

looks…bizarre, to me. :slight_smile: i mean, it looks like grass to a certain extent, but then it also looks like a forest…it’s weird, it seems to switch in my mind.

I like the backdrop though, and the hills on each side :smiley:

Grass does not grow straight up.

Creating realistic grass in blender tutorial

You can’t use particles in games though, so none of that would work.

Good start. It looks to me like the grass planes are all at 90 degrees to one another, am I correct? It would help a lot to randomise their rotations to minimise repetition. Also as Genin says grass is not perfectly vertical, whilst you can’t use particles in the game engine, you could easily use a texture with more random curved strokes for more natural looking grass.